Birdmouth on truss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a trussed roof and am going to 'beef' up the rafters in order to eventually remove the truss frame.

Do I cut a birdsmouth to push into the external wall or just let it sit on top of the wallplate?

Top image is how it is now

Bottom is with birds mouth and to the right is just a straight cut.

Thanks

https://ibb.co/t2jfk8Z

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the possibility of roof spread sometime in the future?

Roughly what dimensions is your roof?

Ken.

AFAIK birdsmouths always sit onto the wall plate (never the masonry) and are either nailed to it or on larger/heavier roofs are held in place using a pair of truss clips. Wall plates in turn are normally fixed down onto the wall by what we call bat straps (because the wall plate ties we use are made by a company called BAT, I suppose)

Sponsored Links
That's the sort of stuff, yes. It still doesn't get away from the need to tie the walls together (which is what the bottom chord does)

Thanks all for the replies. Only just seen them

The roof already in place with straps etc. I am sistering 175mm deep rafters to sit alongside the 100mm ones that are there now.

I will sit them on top of the wall plate and use the truss clips as shown by Ken.

I'm not removing the ones that are there now but they sit at 600 centres and SE has said the new ones need to be at 400 so there will be extras going in. Some will be screwed to the originals and some sitting on their own. Can I just use the clips for the ones that aren't being sistered and screw the sistered ones to existing rafters?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back