Birds in the loft problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after some advice please. My loft is partially boarded out but not right into the eaves and has a velux window in the roof however I often get birds getting into the loft area which I believe are through the eaves/soffit as I can't see any other way in and recently I have experienced a load of flies on the velux window which I suspect is from a dead bird due to the amount of flies. Is there anyway I can close off the eaves from inside the loft to prevent birds and flies coming in but not blocking the airflow?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't really want to block ventilation of the eaves real solution is to carefully inspect the gutter boards and soffits for holes big enough to allow birds in and seal just those.
Common place is at the end of a board near the gutter where the board has rotted

Thanks for the responses. I cannot get up from the outside to the soffit due to a conservatory attached onto the back of my house. The soffit looks ok from the ground but I noticed that some of the tiles on the first row on my neighbours side are missing cement exposing gaps into the roof. My house is a semi detached so maybe the birds are getting into the soffit from my neighbours roof tiles and then coming across into mine. Think i may have to try the chicken wire and then board the loft out closer to the eaves

Sponsored Links
The chicken wire is just so easy, cut spall pieces & poke it in, don't try and do a large area in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back