Biscuit Jointer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build some shelving and worktops to make a study. I plan to use 18mm ply and edge it with 18mm timber. There will be a few joints where the ply meets at right angles and I thought of buying a biscuit jointer to make the joints. I see that Toolstation have 2 available cheaply, one is the Silverstorm 900W Biscuit Jointer £46.98 and the other is the SIP 07904 700W £49.97. I would like any advice about either.
Also I am not sure what biscuits to buy, there seems to be a range on Toolstation numbers 0, 10 & 20. What's the difference and which is suitable for which jointer? I've never used a biscuit jointer before but it seems to be the best way of joining shelving to go neatly round a corner.

Sponsored Links
Ah so that's why my shelves fell down when I used Rich Tea biscuits!

I think you will find all three are the same thickness 4mm or so and just wider and longer the higher the number.
Had a quick Google and seems;
0= 47x15x4 10= 53x19x4 20=56x25x4
If thats any help.

I have a cheapie one it's buried in the garage so I ain't going to rummage for it now to see the brand ;) I have a feeling it was a Screwfix own one seems ok I guess if you only need it for the odd job the cheapie will be fine :D

ive owned a chepo for years and gave it a lot of abuse when needed.
just make sure it has a adjustable fence.

I am wanting to build some shelving and worktops to make a study. I plan to use 18mm ply and edge it with 18mm timber. There will be a few joints where the ply meets at right angles and I thought of buying a biscuit jointer to make the joints. I see that Toolstation have 2 available cheaply, one is the Silverstorm 900W Biscuit Jointer £46.98 and the other is the SIP 07904 700W £49.97. I would like any advice about either.
Also I am not sure what biscuits to buy, there seems to be a range on Toolstation numbers 0, 10 & 20. What's the difference and which is suitable for which jointer? I've never used a biscuit jointer before but it seems to be the best way of joining shelving to go neatly round a corner.

Just a thought i bought a Dewalt biscuit joiner nearly new off Ebay. I jointed a very large area of hardwood decking using this and the original blade.
Also the guide and a adjuster were rock solid, still using same blade 2 years later.

Worth considering a decent quality tool for an accurate job, some deals to be had off ebay for this. Not that i condone the extortionate fees they charge sellers!!!

Sponsored Links
i too now use a dewalt jointer and agree it is a well built bit of kit and will take abuse,
my old 1 which is now retired and having a rest in the garage was a ferm(screwfix)jobby,and that got a good bashing over the years,still on original brushes etc,even though it hasnt been used in years i reckon i could plug it in and away i go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back