Biscuit jointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

new user here, been browsing for a while and now I have questions!

I'm going to build some cabinetry for the kitchen and I like the sound of biscuit joints: strong, accurate (with a decent jointer), quick and neat.

I know they will be fine for carcasses etc but what about framework? Not the doors and shelves but the heavier framework of, say, a kitchen island. Or would I need mortise and tenons to get adequate strength? Would they be OK if used them alongside a decent glue?

I was just wondering what the drawbacks might be and when not to use biscuits.

And as an aside, could anyone recommend a decent cheap table saw for a home workshop? £200-300

Thanks in advance

PS I should add that the heavier frames and face frames will likely be made from hardwood and the carcasses from MFC

Sponsored Links
Biscuits great for edge joining planks to make boards but i would reccommend mortice and tenon for frames with a good glue.

if you are seriouse about building cabinets you will need a 1/2" router and table plus a chop saw table saw and a circular saw
i believe for your £300 budget you can get the ryobi table saw and router the saw table has a router mounting point

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I'm hoping to make freestanding units for the kitchen, bespoke items were coming in at huge amounts of money and I really fancy the challenge.

I've been looking for guides on building that particular style of furniture unit but with little success. I have got a few general books though and I'm confident I can do a good, if slow, job.

I have a circular saw already and thanks for the Ryobi recommendation, sounds perfect. I take it the router is for rebates, digging the mortise/tenon joints etc? I was planning on getting one for making framed shaker style doors and so on as well as a decent biscuit jointer. I'm after quite a simple finish such is the shaker style.

Sponsored Links
If you have a bench drill you should consider getting a mortice drill, they make life a lot easier.

zippy - most of what you are proposing can be done using dowel joints - all accurately produced with a dowelling jig; or pocket screws, again using a pocket hole jig - (www.axminster.co.uk).

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I'm hoping to make freestanding units for the kitchen, bespoke items were coming in at huge amounts of money and I really fancy the challenge.

I've been looking for guides on building that particular style of furniture unit but with little success. I have got a few general books though and I'm confident I can do a good, if slow, job.

I have a circular saw already and thanks for the Ryobi recommendation, sounds perfect. I take it the router is for rebates, digging the mortise/tenon joints etc? I was planning on getting one for making framed shaker style doors and so on as well as a decent biscuit jointer. I'm after quite a simple finish such is the shaker style.

yes shaker style very square so you can do without a router
but you will so so loose out on other projects that you can do with a router ;)

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back