Bit clueless, landing pad adjacent to house. Where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently own a detached property which has a lean-to shed and adjacent to the property is as an area which is best described as a landing pad. It has a concrete floor, Brick wall and gates onto the road and a wooden fence around the edge.

Id like to do something with it, either build a garage or an area which to protect my car from the elements.

I have a few questions which you guys may be able to give me a hand with:

1) Is there any type of building I can construct which would not require planning permission (ie below a certain height, something with no sides or material)

2) If I decided to go the whole hog as a real rough estimate how much would a 1 story garage of this size cost without power? (I appreciate this is very difficult to estimate....)

3) Any advice regarding other things I should be considering here?

house.jpg

house2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its usually fairly clear what you can and cannot do without planning permission. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/ I would interpret that site in the red box as being in front of the front elevation of the property and as such you would need planning permission. Read this too http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf page 41 in particular. If you applied for planning permission it may be granted or maybe not.

To have a single skinned garage is gonna be say £6-12K. You could consider pre-fab which would be cheaper but the planners proba wouldn't go for it they prob won't like it anyway). If doing it yourself then maybe £2.5-3.5K.

A carport would be classed as an outbuilding too BTW so same rules apply.

If you can do some rough drawings yourself you can submit a planning application yourself for about £165. Prob worth chatting to the planners and popping along, see what they say.

Frankly you could build a carport and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back