Bit o' bondage

Joined
28 Jul 2009
Messages
13,018
Reaction score
1,918
Location
Kent
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I had to share this pic
1789695177433.png
I was half way through removing this fitting, apparently the original request from the customer was to be able to remove it easily without using tools... fail, I had to cut cable ties and unscrew the bonding wire.
 
Nice one - yes sometimes we see some strange ideas, sometimes we realise the intent, sometimes not, sometimes we see the intent guided by false logic and realise that half understanding a concept but not fully leads to some absurd logic.
One example, a while ago I mentioned, an electrician traced an earthwire to a light (obvisously the earthwire had been added later) and its route, under floorboards, to a plastic cup filled with some soil - somebody understood the earthing principle but not fully!
 
I looked at my own lamp, Ceiling light.jpg the earth is connected on the socket, and the plug auto connects it to the lamp, but since on two hooks,
1789989823411.png
not convinced it will do any good?

But none of my SES bulbs are marked
1789989944325.png
so I suppose should use an earth wire, but how you can earth an Ederson screw bulb beats me, a BA22d OK, but E14 and E27 just can't see how.
 
I thought I had to share this picView attachment 422559I was half way through removing this fitting, apparently the original request from the customer was to be able to remove it easily without using tools... fail, I had to cut cable ties and unscrew the bonding wire.
Suppose that chain could become live?
 
I looked at my own lamp, View attachment 422695 the earth is connected on the socket, and the plug auto connects it to the lamp, but since on two hooks, View attachment 422696not convinced it will do any good?

But none of my SES bulbs are marked View attachment 422697 so I suppose should use an earth wire, but how you can earth an Ederson screw bulb beats me, a BA22d OK, but E14 and E27 just can't see how.
Is the main body of the lamp not wired in 3-core so that the base and main body are directly earthed

As you say chains and hooks don't provide earth continuity. I usually think of it more as an incidental earthing path.
 
Is the main body of the lamp not wired in 3-core so that the base and main body are directly earthed

As you say chains and hooks don't provide earth continuity. I usually think of it more as an incidental earthing path.
Although I appreciate there is an electrical path in a metal chain, I always think of it as no form of earthing path.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top