satellite cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a satellite cable from the LNB down a conduit. It might be a bit of a tight squeeze but I was wondering if a bit of WD40 sprayed on the outer sheathing would help it slide down more easily, or would it attack the cable?

Also when the installer put the original wires in the conduit he pulled them through using some tool which was like a high tensile fishing wire with a weight on the end. He attached end opposite the weight to the end of the cable and then dropped the weight down the conduit and then the person at the other end pulled it through. What is the name of this tool or was it home made? All help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Correct lub called Yellow 77 I got it from City Electrical Factors. For mains cable we need to be careful as some things can explode once dried out and any fault happens but for Coax can't see anything wrong with washing up liquid but never use that on mains. Years ago we used soap. Or tallow which was really for conduit threading machine but often used.
The fish wire is called a fish wire!!! And again City Electrical Factors is where I got last one.
I have also seen drain cleaning tool and inner of speedo cables used.
Correct one's are mainly nylon with just the end with spring on as of course there would be issues using metal ones where there are live cables.

What cabling is already inside the conduit ?

I menioned it might be a bit of a tight squeeze because already inside the conduit I have a coax cable from the LNB, a coax cable from the aerial, a telephone cable and last but not least a coax return to a Sky box upstairs to allow us to watch the subscription channels in the bedroom.

I can't see much room for another cable, which is for allow for the functionality of a Sky+ or Freesat HDR box. We might have to sacrifice the return coax which is a shame as the missus really likes her UK TV Gold

Sponsored Links
I menioned it might be a bit of a tight squeeze because already inside the conduit I have a coax cable from the LNB, a coax cable from the aerial, a telephone cable and last but not least a coax return to a Sky box upstairs to allow us to watch the subscription channels in the bedroom.

If I were you I'd consider trying out a diplexer first and use your existing TV feed to carry your new satellite feed too i.e. something like this in your loft (or wherever):

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=1012

...and then either the same TV/STB side, or an appropriate wall plate.

If I were you I'd consider trying out a diplexer first and use your existing TV feed to carry your new satellite feed too i.e. something like this in your loft (or wherever):

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=1012

...and then either the same TV/STB side, or an appropriate wall plate.

I take it that the diplexer is a passive device in that it doesn't need a current to run it?

Talcum powder is a useful lubricant. (for cables in conduit ( to preempt the kinky replies))

Hold the cable to the end of the conduit and see if it looks like it will go, if it does, then feed a draw tape through and use the yellow 77 recommended by eric... it really is amazing stuff

Hold the cable to the end of the conduit and see if it looks like it will go, if it does, then feed a draw tape through and use the yellow 77 recommended by eric... it really is amazing stuff

I might try that and if there really is no room then there's always the diplexer option. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back