How Would You Chase This Cable Into The Wall?

Sponsored Links
Ban

You seem to have a thing about replacing cables to avoid joints.

I'm sure you must realise that in the real world this is often not practical.
It's always best if you can, but of course you often can't.

This isn't about extending cables by joining lengths on, it's about why do you have to end up with 4 cables where there's currently 2.

But please note my disclaimer above.

Imagine you have a socket currently fed via two legs of a ring final.

It could be extended by running a further two legs to the new position from the existing one, then connecting one of the new legs to one of the existing legs. Thus by connecting one socket at each position to the two remaining legs at each point, the extended ring final is completed.

Not really, conduit is closed-jointed so conductors have to be drawn in from the ends, trunking has a removable lid, capping is just capping, not a type of cable duct.

conduit

part of a closed wiring system of circular or non-circular cross-section for insulated conductors and/or cables in electrical installations

Note 1 to entry: Conduits should be sufficiently close-jointed so that the insulated conductors and/or cables can only be drawn in and not inserted laterally.

That may be the definition in the BYB or something, but I was thinking of the more general definition of the word.

A water pipe or gas pipe is a conduit.
A road is a type of conduit.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=conduit+lane+hoddesdon

It's just a means of getting something from somewhere, to somewhere else, so trunking and capping are types of conduit.

Sponsored Links
Imagine you have a socket currently fed via two legs of a ring final.

It could be extended by running a further two legs to the new position from the existing one, then connecting one of the new legs to one of the existing legs. Thus by connecting one socket at each position to the two remaining legs at each point, the extended ring final is completed.

screenshot_1293.jpg

o_O

BAS I will have a look if I can do it without using the junction box a little later on.

Compiling a list of things to buy right now.

Regarding the washing machine socket... the two legs of the ring will go to the 20A DP switch... the socket will be about a meter below this switch. Because I've never worked on switch-less sockets before, do I take 2 more cables out from the DP switch down to the socket or is it OK to just have one (maybe a 4mm cable) between the DP switch and switch-less socket? Thanks.

Ditto. What don't you understand about it and why are the cables in your diagram outside safe zones?

This isn't about extending cables by joining lengths on, it's about why do you have to end up with 4 cables where there's currently 2.

You wanted an explanation why there would be 4 cables instead of 2. I provided one.

You are perplexed.

Why?

BAS, there is a door in the way, he can't go horizontally, the two new legs will go back up in the oval conduit, with the original 2.

I think the confusion regarding 4 cables in the socket was the fact that our friend Winston suggested putting the joints in the socket box rather than the initial plan of wiring as Bas drawing with 2 wires at socket, but using said crimps under the floor.

post #15

Last edited:
Then join/extend the cables from somewhere else, surely?

But the fridge socket is being moved anyway, so, while he has access to these particular cables, it makes sense to me to extend the ring from here, instead of pulling up more floorboards upstairs or more additional chasing elsewhere. Also, I'm not a fan of junction boxes in floor voids, so I'd personally use some Wago 221s inside the fridge socket and stick to the 'all 4 cables in conduit' idea.

I'm confused.

Are people talking about four cables - of the same ring circuit - in one piece of conduit?

2 ring cables existing in oval conduit,
he wants extra socket other wall.

He planned to pull 1 cable back into ceiling and join there to a new cable over to new socket then new cable back to existing socket
hence 2 cables in socket and 1 join in ceiling

Winston said NO and put join in socket

OP said he didnt want that as it would then create FOUR cables down to the socket via oval conduit

Bas suggested no joins is better

in one piece of conduit?

Yeah, sorry, forgot about the 45% fill rule. I was pre-occupied trying to avoid junction boxes, MF or otherwise, in only accessible-ish places.

OP, just plaster over them, scrap the conduit or capping or go back to putting an Ashley J803 in the void, then you'll only have two cables coming down to the fridge socket.

Regarding the washing machine socket... the two legs of the ring will go to the 20A DP switch... the socket will be about a meter below this switch. Because I've never worked on switch-less sockets before, do I take 2 more cables out from the DP switch down to the socket or is it OK to just have one (maybe a 4mm cable) between the DP switch and switch-less socket? Thanks.

Only one cable is needed from the switch, and certainly not 4mm. 2.5mm is enough, probably 1.5 mm OK as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back