1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Wall Chasing/Conduit Query

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Mr Sparkle, 10 Mar 2020.

1. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My wall currently has one light, however I would like two light fitting (i.e. one on either side of the wall)

I have concluded that the easiest method will be to chase down slightly below the existing light fitting

Then making a horizontal chase on both the left and right hand side of the masonry wall

I will drop the new wire in the exisiting vertical conduit before continuing in the areas i have chased

As the cable will go at 90 degree angles what conduit will i have to buy

For ease, I have attached a pic and markings (in red) where i would like to chase/feed the wire. The marking in black represents the location of the existing wire/conduit

Attached Files:

Last edited: 10 Mar 2020
  2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Will there be a light or something at the point that you will create your “dog leg”?
    If there’s nothing there then you cannot do that as the cable will not be in a recognised zone. See https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

conduit is not necessary, but plastic capping or oval pvc conduit may assist.

3. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @Taylortwocities apologies, i forgot to upload the image i was referring to in my original post

Yes there will be a light fitting at the ends of the horizonal chase. So there will be one light fitting on the left hand side and one on the right hand side of the wall

Yes, i will use oval pvc capping from toolstation
    https://www.toolstation.com/pvc-oval-conduit/p31472?store=LH&utm

so when i go from the wire being in the vertical to horizontal position, I can just use the oval capping? If so, I assume that some of the wire will be outside of the oval capping i.e. encased in gypsum plaster?

Attached Files:

4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As said the vertical wire will no longer be in a safe zone so you cannot do what you want.

5. plugwash

plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The issue is that if you get rid of the existing fitting completely then the vertical drop will no longer be in a safe zone.

If the existing conduit is metal and properly earthed, then you could continue to the branch point with more correctly-fitted metal conduit, since cables in earthed metal conduit do not need to be in the safe zones.

If the existing conduit is plastic, or if it is some old ratty metal that can't be properly earthed then you will probablly need to either retain some sort of electical fitting in line with the vertical drop or run your cables by a different route.

6. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Last edited: 10 Mar 2020
  7. fluorescence

fluorescence

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why not just fit a twin-arm wall light and some more appropriate bulbs ('lamps', whatever) in place of this slightly poor effort currently fitted? More light & no need to mess about chasing cables into non-safe zones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. kbultray

kbultray

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There must be hundreds of miles of domestic buried in plastered walls at all kind of angles. We never used to consider "zones" years ago, and the sky didn't fall in. Having said that in future before drilling a wall have a cable detector run a pass.

9. Sponsored Links
  10. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    So?

...and hope it works.

If you find one that does, please let us know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fluorescence

fluorescence

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whilst you may be right to a point, times change & we like to avoid electrocuting people nowadays hence we use prescribed safe zones. Cable detectors are, at best, unreliable.

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The sky didn't fall in, but a number of people have died as a result.
    The usual quoted is the death of Mary Wherry. This was because a screw was drilled into a cable that was wrongly installed. Not in the recognised zones.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...r-electrocuted-in-botched-fitted-kitchen.html

That's what rules are for.

13. muffking

muffking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is mini trunking on the surface of the wall out of the question? Solves all of your problems with zones, chasing and plastering.

14. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The wall on the left left hand side is a stud wall

Is it safe to feed the wire down the plasterboard (from the loft)

Then chase the wall horizontally for the oval conduit/wire?

It's definately out of the question

Mini trunking was created by lucifer himself! it's ghastly :mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  15. muffking

muffking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes if the the left hand light is being mounted on the stud wall where you intend to drop the cable.
    Essentially what you're trying to avoid is random placing of cables buried in walls. They should go between accessories, or straight from above/below an accessory.

I don't disagree with that, although I always offer it as a 'Plan-Z, get you out of the sh*t' option.

16. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The chances of dropping a cable down a stud wall are 50/50. If there are horizontal noggins between the uprights then the answer is no.
    If there are no noggins then I would be wondering why.

Sponsored Links