6mm cable cooker

Winston, could you describe to the op how to go about soldering the 6mm2 T+E cable, as I am unable to give a good description.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No need. He is experienced at soldering.
Winston.
The op has done some 12v car wiring soldering.

He was not aware he could solder 230v cables.

He is not sure if the solder type varies between 12 and 230v wiring.

He has suggested using insulation tape.

Not ideal.
Would you be able to give a detailed description on how to correctly solder the 6mm2 cables together?

Others may benefit from this too.

Last edited:
Winston.
The op has done some 12v car wiring soldering.

He was not aware he could solder 230v cables.

He is not sure if the solder type varies between 12 and 230v wiring.

He has suggested using insulation tape.

Not ideal.
Would you be able to give a detailed description on how to correctly solder the 6mm2 cables together?

Others may benefit from this too.

No. We are not supposed to give step by step instructions on these forums.

Suffice to say electricians solder is the same for 12 or 240v, and so called insulation tape is not good for covering soldered joints.

No. We are not supposed to give step by step instructions on these forums.

Suffice to say electricians solder is the same for 12 or 240v, and so called insulation tape is not good for covering soldered joints.
Odd, I'm often explaining things on this forum in the form of a step-by-step guide.

Why wouldn't I? After all, how else can I explain how to do something correctly?

Do you know what I think Winston?

I think you're full of shlte.

Hello, whats the best way to join 2, 6mm cooker cable together to extend it so i can move the socket. Will a yellow butt connector from toolstation work? The cable runs through conduit not chased inside the wall thanks
Hi Ashbou.

As you've seen there are various methods in joining 6mm2 cooker cable, but I'm not clear on your description on conduit NOT chased in the wall.

Narurally I assume you have conduit (or trunking?) fixed to wall surface.

You mention 'socket'. Not sure if you really meant socket, and not sure if the item is visible (ie above the worktop etc), or hidden (behind the cooker, or below the worktop etc).

Either way, different joining methods may depend on the location, ie if the cable is concealed in a wall, or behind some kitchen units, or in surface conduit as your post suggests.

You may want to make the joint accessible, if practical to do so.

Someone here has already advised that crimps may be used, and thankfully reminded us that yellow crimps are to be used for L and N, and blue for the earth.

If the joint can be made somewhere else other than in the conduit, maybe above or below a kitchen unit etc, where access can be gained, you may like to consider a 60amp junction box - which has the benefit of cable clamps to reduce the chances of disturbing the connections.

The other forms of connection shown earlier in the thread may of course be equally suitable.

Although crimping and soldering are allowed where cables are either hidden or where cables are in a tight space such as a conduit, it has to be said accessible joints are far more superior from a fault finding point of view.

Pictures or a clearer description will ensure a good response.

Odd, I'm often explaining things on this forum in the form of a step-by-step guide.

Why wouldn't I? After all, how else can I explain how to do something correctly?

Do you know what I think Winston?

I think you're full of shlte.

Take your thoughts elsewhere. I don't want to know about them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back