Running 6mm cable through back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be possible to run a 6mm cooker cable vertically from the ceiling through a 45mm back box into a duel cooker connector fixed to the back of a kitchen base unit.
From the duel connector, run one 6mm cable back up to the back box, to a 2 gang cooker switch and 13a switched socket. This would be the isolation switch for the oven.
Another cable from the duel connector to a 1 gang cooker switch. This would be the isolation switch for the induction hob.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to run a 6mm cooker cable vertically from the ceiling through a 45mm back box into a duel cooker connector fixed to the back of a kitchen base unit. ... From the duel connector, run one 6mm cable back up to the back box, to a 2 gang cooker switch and 13a switched socket. This would be the isolation switch for the oven. .... Another cable from the duel connector to a 1 gang cooker switch. This would be the isolation switch for the induction hob.
I may be missing something, since that all sounds a bit (probably unnecessarily) complicated ...

... for example, why 'from the backbox, down to a dual cooker connector, and then back up to the backbox and then out of the box to feed a cooker control unit (cooker switch + 13Asocket)' ? Have I misunderstood?

If, as is likely, these cables are to be buried in walls, they must all be in 'safe zones' (I prefer to call them 'dangerous zones' - for those with drills, nails and screws in their hands :) ) - which basically means vertically or horizontally in line with visible electrical accessories (switches, sockets et.)

Kind Regards, John

I could well be over complicating it or not describing it right. I've a 400mm length of worktop between a tall oven housing to the right and the induction hob to the left. I can bring a 6mm cable down the middle of this gap. I'd like 2 separate isolation switches. one for the hob and one for the oven. If I wired straight into the cooker switch+ 13a socket, then into a duel cooker connector, the switch would turn both hob and oven off

If I wired straight into the cooker switch+ 13a socket, then into a duel cooker connector, the switch would turn both hob and oven off
Yes, what is the problem with that?. If anything, the switch is only there for emergency isolation purposes.
PS There is actually no requirement to have any isolation switch for either appliance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, what is the problem with that?. If anything, the switch is only there for emergency isolation purposes.
PS There is actually no requirement to have any isolation switch for either appliance.
Thanks for that infor. I didn't know there was no requirement so will do it the way I said in my second post

I could well be over complicating it or not describing it right. I've a 400mm length of worktop between a tall oven housing to the right and the induction hob to the left. I can bring a 6mm cable down the middle of this gap. I'd like 2 separate isolation switches. one for the hob and one for the oven. If I wired straight into the cooker switch+ 13a socket, then into a duel cooker connector, the switch would turn both hob and oven off
As TTC has said, there is no actual requirement for any isolation (really 'emergency') switches at all.

However, if, for whatever reason, you did want a separate switch for the hob, then (if I'm understanding you correctly) there is no reason why you could not 'branch' from the ('supply side' of) the cooker switch/socket t feed a switch for the hob

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back