RCD FCU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I currently have a 6mm radial (32MCB) to a 45amp cooker isolation switch (above worktop level) with a 6mm connection into a CCU. The radial runs under a timber floor, into a skirting duct then is clipped to the wall behind the units - No RCD protection. I want to replace the CCU with a duel connection plate then run 2 X 4mm T&E to 2no surface mounted back boxes (positioned on the wall behind the units accessed by a removable panel in the back of the kitchen base unit) for a 3kw induction hob with plug and 2.6kw oven with plug. Question is unswitched single socket outlets or cut plugs off and connect via RCD FC Units?

Sponsored Links
You can do either, it's up to you (whether the sockets are switched or not in completely irrelevant) - or

just cut of the plugs and connect both to the existing CCU. Replace the flex with 2.5mm² or 4mm² flex if you want.

Will there be room for surface box and plug behind the oven?

No not enough room behind oven for surface mount and plug - Possible fused connection units or but could put in recessed boxes. Is there any benefit of an RCD FCU?.

Sponsored Links
Just for clarification -

If you were installing a new cooker circuit, then an RCD would be required at source if the cable installation method required it (e.g. concealed <50mm. below surface) (and for all sockets and now all bathroom etc. circuits).
No appliances are required by the regulations to have RCD coverage. Not even an electric shower (although a new circuit is) despite what some manufacturers' instructions state.

RCDs are for the protection of persons (with a couple of exceptions) but are not the panacea they are made out to be, so if you want to fit one it is up to you.

I'd suggest 2 single sockets (or a double socket if you can find one that's rated for 26A)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back