Routing cable through a back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to have 2 sockets (switched from a grid switch) vertically aligned with each other, maybe a couple of feet apart.

Is it safe and within regs to run the cable of the upper one through the metal back box of the first? In one instance the first box reached would be the cooker plate with 6mm cable.

Also, can I safely run 2x (or more?) 2.5mm T&E cables through a 20mm or 25mm metal conduit? Or even a 6mm cooker cable and a 2.5mm?

Thanks,

Robert

Sponsored Links
mrscalex said:
Is it safe and within regs to run the cable of the upper one through the metal back box of the first? In one instance the first box reached would be the cooker plate with 6mm cable.
Can't answer that.

Also, can I safely run 2x (or more?) 2.5mm T&E cables through a 20mm or 25mm metal conduit? Or even a 6mm cooker cable and a 2.5mm?
But I can point you at the answer to this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.5.3.htm

Wow, those tables certainly suggest you can pack a lot in there. Way beyond what I even thought was physically possible, eg 8 x 1mm²,4 x 2.5mm² and 2 x 6 mm² in a 20mm conduit??

Good shout anyway - thanks.

BTW Is that 'can't' on the routing question because you don't know or a diplomatic way of telling me it's stupid to even ask!!

Regards,

Robert

mrscalex said:
Wow, those tables certainly suggest you can pack a lot in there. Way beyond what I even thought was physically possible, eg 8 x 1mm²,4 x 2.5mm² and 2 x 6 mm² in a 20mm conduit??
Don't forget those examples are for singles - it's not saying you can get 14 T/E cables of those sizes in 20mm conduit! Total csa of that many singles is probably about 120mm², and the csa of 20mm conduit is approx 300mm²....

BTW Is that 'can't' on the routing question because you don't know or a diplomatic way of telling me it's stupid to even ask!!
It's because I really don't know.

Sponsored Links
If you think about it, the cross-section of T/E is more-or-less a rectangle with 2 semi-circles at each end. Given the major and minor dimensions of the cable (see the details of each cable on TLC's website), it's a fairly trivial bit of maths to work out the area

[code:1]
T/E Major Minor csa
1 7.80 4.25 29.3
1.5 8.20 5.00 35.6
2.5 10.30 6.00 54.1
4 11.90 6.25 66.0
6 13.50 7.00 84.0
10 17.10 10.00 149.5
16 19.40 10.00 172.5
[/code:1]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back