Chasing out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm chasing out for a rewire. Reusing existing fittings where feasible, but cannot decide about this one.

New chase down to work surface done. Note the old cable going off diagonally at 7 o clock....

20190430_195426.jpg

White socket bottom left i have reinstated as I found the ring main there hidden behind plaster with tape and choc blocks !!! and it is the easiest way of reusing the conduit which is in the wall.

Diagonal cables to back box....
Back box aligns with a cut out in the back of the cupboard which has been temporarily removed.

Diagonal dangling cable up to work surface...

Note the chase top right isnt going to align with the back box beneath and the washing machine pipe work is quite close.

20190430_195349.jpg

So my question here is what would you do to tidy this lot up? I already know what the regs say.

Im not replacing kitchen so will be leaving washing machine plugged into the dual gang socket rather than adding a surface isolator.

Ive so far managed to remove the tiles without breaking them and have no spares...!

Sponsored Links
Nah they were stuck on quite well. Plaster is weaker than the tile glue stuff though. My tool of choice is a mac oscillating cutter which meant i could cut clean through the grouting and then cut down the back of the tile until i ran out of depth. After that a pallette knife and a hammer took them off.

Whilat i don't like the tiles that much, I really dont want to retile everything!
15566522343202279869408264574268.jpg

15566522945477309009834391645004.jpg

Nah they were stuck on quite well. Plaster is weaker than the tile glue stuff though. My tool of choice is a mac oscillating cutter which meant i could cut clean through the grouting and then cut down the back of the tile until i ran out of depth. After that a pallette knife and a hammer took them off.
I remain quite impressed! Returning to your question ...
So my question here is what would you do to tidy this lot up? I already know what the regs say.
I'm not sure what you really want us to say. As you presumably know, those diagonal cables are a definite no-no as far as regs are concerned (relatively sensible regs in this case!) but, if you know that, but don't want to address it, I'm not quite sure what else you would like us to talk about. Do you have any other specific questions?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I just cant decided on the neatest solution.

so do i:

Move the white socket up a few inches and line it up with the dual gang socket?

move the dual gang socket right a few inches to align with the socket above but then adjust the plastic waste pipe (not difficult to move right)

Move the dual gang socket down a few inches to line up with the white socket

Leave all of the fittings where they are and wire in straight lines recessed in the walls in conduit (I prefer straight runs personally...)

Dont bother and clip direct since it is all (except white socket) behind a cupboard anyway.

Or another idea perhaps?

I just cant decided on the neatest solution. so do i:
[with my added numbering!]
1...Move the white socket up a few inches and line it up with the dual gang socket?
2...move the dual gang socket right a few inches to align with the socket above but then adjust the plastic waste pipe (not difficult to move right)
3...Move the dual gang socket down a few inches to line up with the white socket
4...Leave all of the fittings where they are and wire in straight lines recessed in the walls in conduit (I prefer straight runs personally...)
5...Dont bother and clip direct since it is all (except white socket) behind a cupboard anyway.
Well, if it were me, and I was wanting to minimise the amount of work, I'd probably certainly do (5) and then, if I wanted to be decent, also (1) ... whereupon, if I understand correctly, everything should be regs-compliant and it would all 'look neat' .... or am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

20190430_195349.jpg

A could be changed to a double to provide more space behind for wiring.
Cable B recessed so it doesn't show. 2 cables if it's a ring.
Cable C surface clipped, as it's in/behind a cupboard so not much point in it being recessed.

Thanks.

I think i will do 1 and 5. Move the socket up a bit, align it with the 2g back box. Clip direct upto where i stopped chasing, continue upwards in conduit.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks. I think i will do 1 and 5. Move the socket up a bit, align it with the 2g back box. Clip direct upto where i stopped chasing, continue upwards in conduit. Thanks for your help!
You're welcome. As I implied, in your situation that's almost certainly what I would do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back