Bit of an odd one.

There probably isn't any advantage, these were in the days when houses were wired using singles so avoiding the need for 3 core wasn't a consideration.
As I implied, I can't really think of any significant 'advantages', but I can think of several 'disadvantages' (more work, plus danger) - so I wonder why it was ever done. I must say that, until now, I had not realised that such a wiring method had ever been utilised!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm making this up, but imagine a 5-year-old me having two-way lighting wiring explained by my father:

"So that's the theory, but it needs a 3-core cable, and we don't have any of that in the shed. So we've got two choices. Either we can use the earth wire as the third core, which is a bit dangerous, or we can use this alternative circuit, which is also dangerous in a different way. So remember, if you ever need to change a bulb that's controlled by two switches, take care where you put your fingers."

I'm not sure that is a valid explanation.

Your 'unusual' example requires unlikely numbers of conductors between the switches and light which would not occur in normal installation methods or premises.

The two-strapper conventional method leads to the quite frequent borrowed neutral which would be preferable - especially before RCDs.

Sponsored Links
"So that's the theory, but it needs a 3-core cable, and we don't have any of that in the shed. So we've got two choices. Either we can use the earth wire as the third core, which is a bit dangerous, or we can use this alternative circuit, which is also dangerous in a different way. So remember, if you ever need to change a bulb that's controlled by two switches, take care where you put your fingers."
Hmmm. I'm not particularly impressed with a choice between two 'dangerous' options - and, to be frank, if I were somehow forced to choose one of them, I think that using a bare CPC as a live conductor is probably less dangerous (certainly to the user) than the ('diabolical', IMO!) alternative.

In any event, there is a third option, namely to use two 2-core cables (and ignore one of the cores), if that's all you have in your shed. That's essentially what often happened with the 'conventional' method of two way switching - with 2-core between the switches and only a single cores needed between the light and one switch, between line and the other switch and between the light and neutral. As EFLI has said, that's how/why 'borrowed neutrals' often arose.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back