Bit of waste ground - Wild flowers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Theres a bit of waste ground opposite. It's a bit dry there at the moment, dogs do their business and the council occasionally come and trim it. I was wondering whether some wild flower seeds would take if I scattered them once the rains come back.

Thanks

Matt

20180609_131150.jpg

Sponsored Links
Near where I live the local conservation group/volunteer street cleaners organised along with the council to dig a small bed in a verge and plant flowers.
I'd contact the council environmental team or residents group it's probably 50/50 if they would allow it

You would need permission from the owner of the land, presumably the council. The ground itself however looks like it would be suited to wild flowers which thrive in poor soil.

Scattering seeds among the grass is not going to work very well, as the established grass will swamp the seedlings as they emerge. A few stronger species might do OK but most of the content of a packet of mixed “wild flower” seeds will be wasted. You’ll need to either dig up the grass to prepare a bare seedbed for the seeds - and then try to identify and remove any undesireable weeds among your new seedlings - or plant the wild flower seeds in e.g. a seed tray and grow small plants, which you can then transplant when they are big enough to outcompete the grass.

Bulbs are another option that will work more reliably, but are more expensive.

Re the council, the main issue is you don’t want them to mow it at the wrong time of year. Their concern will be to ensure that nothing is so tall that it interferes with drivers’ sight lines.

The presence of nice flowers will not stop it from being used as a dog toilet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. The council are rubbish here and devoid of any common sense. What are 'stronger' species of wild flowers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back