Bitumastic Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem with very slight damp on the inside front wall of the house. A few months ago I stripped off all the plaster back to bare brickwork and it's been left to dry out ever since.
I've checked the wall constantly and there doesn't appear to be much damp at all. Parts of the brickwork looks very slightly darker and I've noticed small patches of mould growing on the brickwork but I'm reasonably happy that there isn't a major problem.

Anyway, I've spoken to a plasterer about getting the wall re-plastered and he recommended that I should slap on a few coats of bitumastic paint before he does the plastering to make a waterproof seal. This sounds like a good idea in principle and I have been told that it will work as he knows a pub landlord who has done this in his cellar.

Is there anybody here who can see any potential problems with this futuristically? There isn't a large area to do and I've been told that as long as I apply several coats it will stop the damp coming through into the plaster.
I've also been told that I would need to mix coarse sand into the bitumastic paint to allow the plaster to bond to it. Is there bitumastic paint available with coarse sand already mixed into it? I'm thinking that perhaps the non-slip stuff you would use on flat roofs would be suitable?

Thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
Not Bitumastic paint :cry: Bitumenous waterproofing like Aquaseal;) Ask@ your local Builders Merchant .....not Jews sons :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back