Bitumen/Asphalt Floor (ex-Council house)

A3Y55 hi

As you correctly say the posts are old?

For my sins, I have been in charge of Contractors laying Mastic Asphalt as either a roofing material or as a Damp proofing System, in both cases it was a three layer application each layer about 10mm. [or better] thick, it was troweled on, the Asphalt itself was heated in a large gas fired trailer, do not under any circumstances what so ever at all, at all, let it get too hot! [bang] where the Asphalt that was delivered in octagonal blocks were split up, and the bits chucked into the boiler [heating unit] the labourers used buckets liberally sprinkled with Cement so as to stop the Asphalt adhering to the buckets and lifted the hot asphalt to the spreading team who were on hands and knees all day spreading this material with wooden trowels, Asphalt will not adhere to timber? The Asphalt was not pure in that there was some sort of sharp sand? grit? at times it seemed like 10mm Single Sized Aggregate?

As a couple of asides?
1/One, if you look at the bottom of this post, there are several attempted questions as regards Mastic Asphalt Floors, and their repairs, what is of interest is that the number of Views, in one case 3,097 with 2 replies???
2/. Two, my personal observations, above were gleaned when I was in my early / mid 20s, I have been in receipt of my old Age pension now for several years? this alone clearly indicates that the appetite for Mastic Asphalt has shall we say dwindled? the primary causation being the cost of Oil after all Asphalt is a derivative of oil, what killed off Mastic Asphalt was the now resigned to History a thing called The Suez Crises and the oil Price Hike that occurred.

I digress, there are several firms that offer a repair option at a cost?

Repairs for the DIY,er? one option appears to be "Rustoleum Asphalt Repair?" But this [costly] repair option appears to be aimed at the patch repair of road surfaces?

There appears to be a "Mastic Asphalt Council" who have what appears at first glance to be limited information, and from what I can see sparse information on repairs? could be because they are geared up for new work and do not want to advertise that their material needs to be repaired?

Nice to see the resurrection of an old post on a subject that does not appear to have a fast solution?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
A3Y55 hi

For my sins, I have been in charge of Contractors laying Mastic Asphalt as either a roofing material or as a Damp proofing System, in both cases it was a three layer application each layer about 10mm. [or better] thick, it was trowelled on, the Asphalt itself was heated in a large gas fired trailer, do not under any circumstances what so ever at all, at all, let it get too hot! [bang] where the Asphalt that was delivered in octagonal blocks were split up, and the bits chucked into the boiler [heating unit] the labourers used buckets liberally sprinkled with Cement so as to stop the Asphalt adhering to the buckets and lifted the hot asphalt to the spreading team who were on hands and knees all day spreading this material with wooden trowels, Asphalt will not adhere to timber? The Asphalt was not pure in that there was some sort of sharp sand? grit? at times it seemed like 10mm Single Sized Aggregate?

As a couple of asides?
1/One, if you look at the bottom of this post, there are several attempted questions as regards Mastic Asphalt Floors, and their repairs, what is of interest is that the number of Views, in one case 3,097 with 2 replies???
2/. Two, my personal observations, above were gleaned when I was in my early / mid 20s, I have been in receipt of my old Age pension now for several years? This alone clearly indicates that the appetite for Mastic Asphalt has shall we say dwindled? the primary causation being the cost of Oil after all Asphalt is a derivative of oil, what killed off Mastic Asphalt was the now resigned to History a thing called The Suez Crises and the oil Price Hike that occurred.

Repairs for the DIY,er? one option appears to be "Rustoleum Asphalt Repair?" But this [costly] repair option appears to be aimed at the patch repair of road surfaces?

There appears to be a "Mastic Asphalt Council" who have what appears at first glance to be limited information, and from what I can see sparse information on repairs? could be because they are geared up for new work and do not want to advertise that their material needs to be repaired?

Nice to see the resurrection of an old post on a subject that does not appear to have a fast solution?

Ken.

A3Y55 hi

For my sins, I have been in charge of Contractors laying Mastic Asphalt as either a roofing material or as a Damp proofing System, in both cases it was a three layer application each layer about 10mm. [or better] thick, it was trowelled on, the Asphalt itself was heated in a large gas fired trailer, do not under any circumstances what so ever at all, at all, let it get too hot! [bang] where the Asphalt that was delivered in octagonal blocks were split up, and the bits chucked into the boiler [heating unit] the labourers used buckets liberally sprinkled with Cement so as to stop the Asphalt adhering to the buckets and lifted the hot asphalt to the spreading team who were on hands and knees all day spreading this material with wooden trowels, Asphalt will not adhere to timber? The Asphalt was not pure in that there was some sort of sharp sand? grit? at times it seemed like 10mm Single Sized Aggregate?

As a couple of asides?
2/. Two, my personal observations, above were gleaned when I was in my early / mid 20s, I have been in receipt of my old Age pension now for several years? This alone clearly indicates that the appetite for Mastic Asphalt has shall we say dwindled? the primary causation being the cost of Oil after all Asphalt is a derivative of oil, what killed off Mastic Asphalt was the now resigned to History a thing called The Suez Crises and the oil Price Hike that occurred.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back