Bitumen/Timber removal.... Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.png Morning folks,

I'm new to the forum and not in the building trade, although I am 'capable' of doing basic building..... Basic

I recently put up a 6' fence around my garden and have now moved onto a retaining wall/fence.

The retainer is build using 8" X 2" green treated timber. First off I have 6 lengths cut to 1M and set into the ground facing forward. Next I have screwed 2 lengths horizontally ontop of each other. I finished it with securing another length to the top to act as a cap/bench.

I was advised to paint the base of the posts with bitumen to slow down any rot.

Here cones the issue:

I have painted the bitumen too high on the facing of 3 posts and need to remove it..... I know, Idiot.

Any tips/help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can without leaving stains or marks on the wood as it will have soaked in

It won't shift so why not just continue the treatment up to the top of the posts? Makes it look intentional!
John :)

Thanks mate... I dont mind a bit of staining because I'll just paint it a medium/dark oak to cover it.

Only way I can think of fixing it is...

Heat gun and scraper followed by an old rag and petrol....

Sponsored Links
John that may be the only alternative.

Trying to avoid it and keep it the original colour so I can clear coat it or even stain it oak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back