Biulding my own bar in the garden !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i need some info on building this large shed/bar. so far, i have sunk some 4"x 4" posts into the ground, (about 400mm deep) and secured them with post mix. To these i have bolted 4" x 2" pressure treated joists and the noggins. This is basically going to be a large shed (3m x 9m), which internally will be my own private pub !
I need some advice on the externall walls, i cannot afford to have it all ship-lapped, but have in my possesion enough 8x4x20mm chipboard and 8x4x20mm stirling board for the floor and walls. Also someone is willing to supply me with 8x4x22mm shuttering ply. I originally intended to treat the chip board and use it for the floor, is this good enough? My main concern is the external walls, buy this guy,s ply or use my sterling board ???? which is best ????????.....Help please, and you can all come to the grand opening !!!!!! :D

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo sirgaz and welcome :D:D:D

how many posts have you holding up your structure!!!

wouldnt use chip board for any exterior use [a personal thing ;) ]

are you covering the outside to protect it!!!!!

you will need a structure roughly every 24" of 3by2" to give support

even though its a temporary structure you still need to comply with certain requirements
maximum 3m flat roof or 4m pitched roof from ground level

less than 50% of the garden space
1m away from the boundery ect ect ect

different councils different rules ;)

Hi Big-All,
Thanks for your reply, the roof complies witht the regs, 3m sloped front to back. Posts every metre, = 12 and joists every 2ft with noggins in between. Was gonna treat the chip board and use it for the floor cos it will sit on the joists 3 to 6 inches off ground level so should not contact any moisture ? Thought about using sterling board for the externals and treat it, ( even yacht varnish ) ? But like i said, this timber merchant say,s he would use treated shuttering ply for the external walls. So thats my dilemma, i know that sterling is used for outdoor hoardings, so my guess, ( for what its worth ), is that it should be ok ?? as long as the joints are covered etc.

if its green water resistant chipboard i would consider using it if not it will blow as soon as it gets wet for a few weeks

i would use 18mm exterior ply on the floor as it will have the greatest loads and if it needs repair you need to do a propper job as a patch repair wont be as strong and may cause a trip hazzard

i would suggest using the chipboard for some off the internal fixtures and fittings and cover with material

shuttering ply will be ok for the roof and possibly the walls if fully protected

what are your plans for insulation !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Using rolls of knauf insulation ( left over from a job i was on !) think its 50mm or 100 thick. What if i treat the 22mm chipboard with a bitumen or other sealer, lay a membrane over the joists, then lay the boards over the top, bringing the edges of the membrane over the edges of the boards to form a kind of envelope. This would give it a double barrier underneath and i am coveing the top with lino or t&g planking so as to protect it from any spillages etc ???? I know i keep going on about this chip, but its only cos i have 10 boards of it and wont need to buy anything else.

i will hold back on chipboard advice as i am not happy/ shure if you protection will make it last :D :D ;)

chipboard just goes as in ok one week next week you fall through ;)

but if you use ply or shuttering it will go "springy" long before it fails

just thought you could use chipboard for the internal wall [instead of plasterboard]

or external protected by felt [or tar as you describe ;) ] and if in 5 years time time its starts to disintigrate you can replace different sections with t&g treated shiplap as money permits :D :D :D

What a great idea!

I take it you will have barrels and pumps maybe and not just a fridge with cans of lager/bitter :LOL:

sirgaz
can you build the snug/vaults for me .......
whens the 1st DIYnot disco night , just keep the ADMIN here off your decks or we will get The Nolans all night ,
plenty of The Killers ...for me ..lol ;)

Ps
you may need a "fight club" area , for guys too slug it out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back