Bizarre pressure increase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new house 2 years ago. The boiler is an Ideal ICOS HE30.

The whole system was very noisy from day 1-sounded like rats running in the walls and even after bleeding air from the radiators it didnt stop. eventually we got the builders to come back (Bryant homes) and flush the system and they removed a bucket full of metal filings, plastic filings and grit. 8 months later the boiler "exploded" there was a very loud thud/bang and water sprayed out of the exhaust vent outside the house.

It was the heat exchanger that blew up when the inlet and outlet got plugged with dirt from somewhere, so the water inside the exchanger boiled and BANG.

The system was flushed again and a complete new boiler-(same model) fitted.

Now we still had squirly noises in the radiators and I bled off "air" from some of the radiators. Also the pressure kept creeping up from 1 bar to about 2.8 bar, until the relief valve started weeping- there is a weird "view port" on the drain line so you can see the dripping.

Plumbers came back and removed the system filler hose and bled the pressure back to 1 bar. Now the filler hose is still disconnected and blank caps are on the filler connections

Now every 2 weeks or so I have to bleed "air" out of the radiators- the pressure creeps up to 2.5 bar or more, and I bleed it back to 1 bar. I have done this 7 times now- the plumber doesn't believe me...

Anyone have any idea what is going on? The only thing I can think of is that some kind of gas is being generated inside the system, but that sounds crazy?!?!?

Sponsored Links
Anyone have any idea what is going on? The only thing I can think of is that some kind of gas is being generated inside the system, but that sounds crazy?!?!?

after reading that little missive

it ain't crazy at all :evil:

Only way for the pressure to gradually creep up if for mains water to get into the system. Since you have the filling hose disconnected that only leaves the heat exchanger.

Now every 2 weeks or so I have to bleed "air" out of the radiators- the pressure creeps up to 2.5 bar or more, and I bleed it back to 1 bar. I have done this 7 times now- the plumber doesn't believe me...

next time try and light the "air" :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies- here is an update- the plumber came back again and decided the problem was caused by a leak in the bladder in the "expansion cylinder" He said it starts out with 2.5 bar in the bladded so if it is gradually leaking into the system it would cause this problem.

BUT the replacement did not solve the problem- pressure still going up- so today I tried a lighter on the gas coming out of the bleed hole on one of the radiators and got a 2 foot flame jetting out of the it like a blow torch!!

So I guess this is Hydrogen. Now what? This means I have some serious corrosion going on in the system right? Does this mean I need to change the radiators or what??

Any help much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back