Very high boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just come back from a weekend away to find a fault with my combi boiler - I think because the pressure gauge reads 4.5 bar. And I'm very cold.

I've bled any air from my radiators, and the pressure now reads 4.0 bar. Should I just keep on bleeding the water from the radiators until the pressure drops to 1.0 bar? If so, should I bleed each one about the same amount - so a bit of water from one radiator, then a bit from another, and so on around the house - or can I just bleed one or two?

Also, can anyone explain why this happened. It's been very cold outside and I thought water pressure in the boiler would have dropped if anything - but then my knowledge of physics is basic.

Thanks
Bertie

Sponsored Links
bertie at the top of the postings page is a sticky about boiler and c/h FAQs, go into it and read about repressurising your expansion vessel

is the pressure high only when heating on? if it is continuously high, check the filling loop has not been left on. if not, it could be a secondary heat exchanger fault. what boiler is it?

It's a Glowworm Flexicom 30cx. I'll have a look at the sticky - thanks - but if you have any ideas in meantime please let me know.

Sponsored Links
I should also say water was slow dripping from the boiler when I first turned it on but that has stopped now. Not sure if pressure is too high though - although it's now 4.0 bar the manual says 'the maximum working pressure of the domestic hot water circuit is 10 bar"

bertie if your cold pressure is say 1.0 or 1.5 bar, then it should rise to 1.5 or 1.8 ish when hot.
at 3 bar the pressure relief valve should lift and relieve this extra pressure outside by way of the p.r. pipework. the prv is a safety device on your boiler

when you say "switch on" do you mean turn the heating on?

if you drain off some water, bleeding a rad or using the drain off you should be ok. However if it starts rising again even when heating off then u have a problem

I switched on again (by which I mean simply switched on the boiler not the heating). Pressure's dropped to 3.4 bar. I've fired the heating up and 10 minutes later all seems OK - no F9 (high pressure) fault

Thanks for you tips
Bertie

Bugger! No sooner had I posted than the F9 problem has appeared again! Any idea? Should I keep draining water from the rads?

no thats one of the symphtoms, sort out the problems thats causing it. if you dont read the sticky and follow the advice given, then call someone in

if the pressure gauge is reading correct then you have a problem with the pressure relief valve as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back