Bl***y thing!!

gcol said:
It's just the way you come across on certain posts.
Was it this one?

What? In what way is the BIOS software involved in access to system memory?
Or this:

Much more likely. Or a motherboard fault. Or secondary cache.
?

Or perhaps the following was so utterly merciless...

Give it up as a bad job and get a new m/board and CPU and set of RAM.
...that it was the inexorable cause of this statement:

JonD said:
i won't tolerate a personal attack from another member.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Not especially this one, no. Just trying to explain to you how you come across to others.
Maybe the "i'm pleased for you :rolleyes: " comment makes you sound pedantic. It's annoying dude.

Uh huh. So you're saying that JonD is crouching in the corner with his knees drawn to his chest, quietly moaning in fear, despite us never before exchanging posts, simply because he's read another post from me on another topic?

Otherwise, how do you explain this little sequence:

Softus said:
something that gcol later said was not an attack
JonD said:
i won't tolerate a personal attack from another member.
Softus said:
Blimey! Aren't you just a little paranoid?
gcol said:
No he's not paranoid Softus.
:?:

gcol said:
No he's not paranoid Softus. It's just the way you come across on certain posts.
I'm not looking for an argument - just trying to explain how you come across sometimes.

I know Softus is trying to help really but he/((you (if you're reading)) is a bit "stuff that and get a new one of these" when people have spend alot of time taking people through really excellent learning processes :confused: :D :D :confused:

Wow that sounded like something off Bill 'n Teds B A

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Maybe the "i'm pleased for you :rolleyes: " comment makes you sound pedantic. It's annoying dude.
To be pedantic, it's one of least pedantic things I've ever written, and it was written after the frankly ridiculous mention of a personal attack.

Annoying perhaps, but was the following not just a little big showy-offy?

JonD said:
I have been in IT for the last 10 years and have 10's of thousands of hours experience with computers, both supporting and building.

Doc Lenny said:
I know Softus is trying to help really
I don't think that you actually have the first inkling what motivates me, so this bit of amateur psycology has no place here. Unless it amuses you of course, in which case please carry on.

Doc Lenny said:
... but he/((you (if you're reading)) is a bit "stuff that and get a new one of these"
:?:

Doc Lenny said:
...when people have spend alot of time taking people through really excellent learning processes
There's nothing wrong with learning 'processes', but when does the learning stop and the bleeding-well-getting-on-with-fixing-the-problem actually begin? In your humble opinion?

How about this then: if it turns out that I'm wrong, I'll reimburse the OP his cost of the new m/b, CPU and RAM. Can you say fairer than that? Does that take away any uncertainty for you, and everyone else? Is he now permitted to get on with it, stop the pointless sodding around with BIOS changes and get his computer back into reliable operation?

How about this then: if it turns out that I'm wrong, I'll reimburse the OP his cost of the new m/b, CPU and RAM. Can you say fairer than that? Does that take away any uncertainty for you, and everyone else? Is he now permitted to get on with it, stop the pointless sodding around with BIOS changes and get his computer back into reliable operation?

Well lets just f**k problems and replace them with shiny new ones. Such a disposable society we live in! No wonder PC World are doing so well.

Softus you must really care for PC's 'n technology that you are prepared to
reimburse the OP his cost of the new m/b, CPU and RAM
- Must Keep the machines going.....Must Keep the machines going..... (Remember that little white dot that used to remain for ages when you switched off you old TV......)

Doc Lenny said:
Well lets just f**k problems and replace them with shiny new ones. Such a disposable society we live in! No wonder PC World are doing so well.
Oh, so you propose that he repair the m/board, is that it? Which itty bitty little capacitor do you believe he's damaged by fiddling around inside the case without anti-static precautions?

Doc Lenny said:
Softus you must really care for PC's 'n technology that you are prepared to reimburse the OP his cost of the new m/b, CPU and RAM.
:rolleyes: Are you as stupid as your words imply? The point of my offer is to bring home my belief that his m/board is faulty, not because of some electronics fetish that you've dreamed up on my behalf.

The point of my offer is to bring home my belief that his m/board is faulty, not because of some electronics fetish that you've dreamed up on my behalf.

Believe me I don't dream on your behalf!!

Your fuel is to put your point across untill you have proved yourself to everyone reading. The actual point usually gets hijacked and thus this happens. I'm quite layed back and take many point of view into consideration before posting on this site as this is the first site I have got involved with regarding (trying to give constuctive advice) this came through wanting to repay my dues when I got help with my Boiler (not the wife). I just felt I could do something constructive. Look what happens, I end up with having to post this load of sh**t.

SoftYus - just be calm - it's not worth it, everyone now is disinterested (is that a word) or maybe they are interested, in which case post till your jacket (made of PVC) is full with letters from you fan male (sorry mail).

Ends (Sh*t now I feel like BOB DOLE) xx

Doc Lenny said:
The point of my offer is to bring home my belief that his m/board is faulty, not because of some electronics fetish that you've dreamed up on my behalf.

Believe me I don't dream on your behalf!!
I said dreamed up, not dreamed, and it was because you wrote this:

Doc Lenny said:
you must really care for PC's 'n technology
Sheesh :rolleyes:

Doc Lenny said:
Your fuel is to put your point across untill you have proved yourself to everyone reading.
Once again, you're way off the mark. I'm not into proving anything.

Doc Lenny said:
The actual point usually gets hijacked and thus this happens.
The point has not been hijacked by me. I made a relevant and impersonal post, and the intent was impuned by JonD. If someone posts something that's factually incorrect then I may choose to correct them, as is my right as a forum member.

Doc Lenny said:
I'm quite layed back and take many point of view into consideration before posting on this site as this is the first site I have got involved with regarding (trying to give constuctive advice) this came through wanting to repay my dues when I got help with my Boiler (not the wife). I just felt I could do something constructive. Look what happens, I end up with having to post this load of sh**t.

SoftYus - just be calm - it's not worth it, everyone now is disinterested (is that a word) or maybe they are interested, in which case post till your jacket (made of PVC) is full with letters from you fan male (sorry mail).

Ends (Sh*t now I feel like BOB DOLE) xx
:rolleyes:
I'm perfectly calm, whereas you seem not to be. I don't know what you mean by a PVC jacket, and frankly I'm not interested. You're the one making personal comments, adding nothing of technical merit at all. Nobody's asking you, or forcing you, to post on this topic. If you're not getting anything out of it then I recommend that you stop reading it and stop posting on it.

If you're not getting anything out of it then I recommend that you stop reading it and stop posting on it

I'm done now thanks that you have suitably watered it down to your usual "smashing remarks" Ref: hot head 1996 pg 4.

I'm off 2 bed - night Soft...................

Remember PC's can be turned off.. your personality...............

XX

Sheesh! I didn't expect World War 3 to break out over my little problem. I'm hoping i don't need to go spend more money on this heap of sh*t. Like JonD said, its best that i go down all the non-cost routes first. This updating the BIOS doesn't seem to want to happen. I did as you said Jon and used a second floppy. When i ran the update it just sat on the "program to run" bit and the flashing message said "please wait". Well, i waited. And waited. Nothing happened so i just rebooted back to "normal". Is that all my options exhausted then? And please stop the p*ssing up the wall contest :D

After typing all ot that ^^^^^ i decided to give it one more chance. Strangely enough it worked this time. I'm assuming the BIOS was updated. Instead of getting the POST screen i now get the lovely Intel (tm) logo. According to the Belarc advisor the version is still 6.00 but the date changed to 07/07/2005. I'm going to try putting the 2 x 512 memory sticks in to see what happens. Thanks again for all your advice, specially you JonD. I can imagine i'll be needing it all again in the near future.

ukdan said:
I'm hoping i don't need to go spend more money on this heap of sh*t.
My offer was serious, and it stands.

ukdan said:
Like JonD said, its best that i go down all the non-cost routes first.
There's no such thing as a non-cost route.

ukdan said:
This updating the BIOS doesn't seem to want to happen.
I, for one, am not in the least bit surprised.

Well, since managing to get the BIOS updated ( i think) i've managed to watch a whole episode of the sopranos and play a couple of games without it freezing. I'm only hoping everything is alright now (he says, looking for a handy piece of wood to touch). thanks for your offer Softus, its very generous. I'll let you know. LOL Now maybe i can get on with posting in other threads instead of pestering everyone. Cheers again everyone.

Sponsored Links
Back