Black ash equivalent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a black ash desk bought about 25 years ago from John Lewis. I want to make a matching computer desk (just a top surface with side panels).

I plan to make it from chipboard boards veneered in "mahogany" or oak etc. These are readily available from DIY stores like B & Q. As they are unfinished, I plan to stain (not paint) the surface. Stain will allow the grain to show through. I think it will make quite a good match. You could try that for your kitchen panel.

Sponsored Links
The oak veneer will just about pass but the grain is completly different with the mahogany.
After the stain what do you prepose to finnish with, wax, varnish , laquure?

Why not use ash veneered board, at least you will be half way there with the grain pattern.

You can still buy the black ash effect chipboard, go to a decent panel supplier that can get hold of the main makes of MFC (melamine faced chipboard) such as Kronospan or Egger

this and the following 3 pages show whats available

Jason

Sponsored Links
when black ash used to be fashionable :LOL: I went to a local laminate supplier, who sold me a sheet of black, melamine-impregnated ash veneer, which I used to make fascias for the freezer and dishwasher.

As it is a genuine wooden veneer under the melamine, it curls up if unrestrained due to humidity changes.

I think it was a german brand, and more expensive than ordinary laminate. It was not chipboard, just the laminate rolled up, but quite easy to glue to the backing

Jasonb:

That's right, but I have been unable to find local unfinished ash boards. It must be unfinished (unpolished, unlacquered etc.) otherwise the stain would not sink in and reveal the grain. I have tried B & Q and Homecare with no luck. However, at:

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/SheetMaterialsOrder.aspx?ID=7

I have found an 8' by 4' Ash board at £39.97 which is definitely unfinished, and the carriage would be about £22 (including two other boards for something else), so I might go for that. (Unless anyone knows of a supplier within 25 miles of Ludlow).

JohnD:

Thanks. I will look out for that..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back