Black & Decker Workmate Plus WM825 repair help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just sourced and purchased a new belt drive (see dia. 109) for my workmate, but for the life of me can't see how to fit it. The old one became brittle and snapped so can just be pulled out.

I have had the Workmate for over 5 years, if not longer, so out of warranty. I can’t for the life of me see how I can get the belt on or over the vice screws (104). I can see the Spirol pins (127) above the sprocket (129) but these do not seem to budge. I can only get as far as taking the nuts (125) off the vice screw, but that’s it.

Is there an easy way round? Any one with any experience of repairing these?

Sponsored Links
I emailed B&D directly, as I had no joy with one of their service agents.

Although the response was quick it didn't yield a complete solution as the belt was a continuous one ie no breaks, but gave me the inclination that the handles must be removable, which they are.

First I undid the bolts (126) holding the vice board (102) to allow the belt to be slipped over and up the vice screw (104) and then over one of the spockets, then if you look at the handles there is a hollow pin (119) that runs through them (see pic), get a screwdriver or similar small enough to go the distance and whack the pin out with the use of a hammer.

This allows the other vice screw to be pulled out and the other end of the belt to be put around the other sprocket once fed through to the other side, then simply replace the pin in the handle.

Sponsored Links
Better than using a screwdriver would be to use the correct size of roll pin punch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back