Black matt laminate worktop losing black colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching most of the morning to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, but can't see that anyone has.

We fitted a new kitchen around 18 months ago along with the standard matt black laminate worktop. I think its called 'Blackstone'.

Anyway, we have always been very careful and never cut directly on to it and therefore it is without scratches.

But what it has done, is lost the blackness that it started off with and in places has gone more of a grey colour.

I haven't tried anything other than using a waxy furniture polish on it to bring the colour back. Which it does initially, but 5 mins later it has gone back to the lighter colour again.

I don't want to make it any worse, but I would like to find a way of sorting it without replacing the whole worktop.

Would black shoe polish work?... or anything else???

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
You say that it has faded in patches? Sounds very much as if it has faded because of exposure to sunlight, I can't really think of anything else that would cause such fading.
And I'm afraid I don't think anything that can be applied to the surface will bring it back to black short of rubbing down and painting with a black paint and that's not a serious suggestion so don't try that one. The surface of these worktops are made to be impermable so I really think the onl option is replacement :(
I would try writing or e-mailing the manufactors to see if the have any ideas or advice

unfortunatley it was from MFI who are no longer.

Im sure it would have come with a warranty, but thought that it would also be with MFI, so have no one else to go back to.

I cant imagine its the light, as the window overlooks a brick wall...

is it limescale from the water you wipe it with?

Sponsored Links
Im not too sure if it could be limescale.
I have never had any water left on the surface for any period of time as I always make sure everything is fully dry with one of those microfibre cloths.

I am worried that its the cleaning products I have used.
Maybe something has been too harsh on it.

Please dont tell me that a light spraying of Cillit Bang could have done this?!

I have exactly the same problem with my black quartz worktop which came from Homebase.
I know Lakeland sell a polish for worktops but I don't know how good it is, please keep me posted if you find anything and I will do likewise !

I would think it unfeasibly unrealistic and unfair to assume that people go around their kitchens with a feather duster and specific work top polish when cleaning.

What people do in the real world is give them a wipe with products such as bleach, fairy, flash and other aggressive products.

It seems as though some manufacturers are making products unsuitable for a kitchen and need their asses kicking.

Either that or peoples' budgets are encouraging a sub-standard market.

Well said.

I am still trying to think what I could have done wrong to make the worktop go like this as I wouldnt use any products if they say that they are unsuitable for worktop use.

It is obvious as you say, that this has been made unfit for purpose.

Now I need to buy a new worktop!

Not happy

I think at this point you either need to be looking to Trading Standards or the Small Claims Court.

I'm having the same trouble with an MFI black laminate worktop.
It has lost its sheen a bit.

As said earlier, MFI have gone out of business so I'm not sure what use a small claims court would be.

There is a product called Countertop Magic and I reckon it would do a good job. Can't get my hands on it in Ireland though.

"Please dont tell me that a light spraying of Cillit Bang could have done this?!"

I hate to say it, but from my experience Cillit Bang is the root cause of your issue. I wouldn't recommend using it on any worktop.

I have been searching most of the morning to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, but can't see that anyone has.

We fitted a new kitchen around 18 months ago along with the standard matt black laminate worktop. I think its called 'Blackstone'.

Anyway, we have always been very careful and never cut directly on to it and therefore it is without scratches.

But what it has done, is lost the blackness that it started off with and in places has gone more of a grey colour.

I haven't tried anything other than using a waxy furniture polish on it to bring the colour back. Which it does initially, but 5 mins later it has gone back to the lighter colour again.

I don't want to make it any worse, but I would like to find a way of sorting it without replacing the whole worktop.

Thanks for reading

hi I have exactly same problem worktop 18months old not from mfi but a good kitchen outlet dont use harsh abrasives not used cillit bang and not in sunlight, i tried shoe polish tonight but didnt help, have you found anything to use?

Thanks for reading
hi I have exactly same problem worktop 18months old not from mfi but a good kitchen outlet dont use harsh abrasives not used cillit bang and not in sunlight, i tried shoe polish tonight but didnt help, have you found anything to use?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...top-losing-black-colour.206655/#ixzz4dPQtIqtz

Best not to resurrect an 8 year old post , better to start a new post,white deposits are nearly always limescale and can be removed with white vinegar .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back