Kitchen matt black laminate worktop starting fading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching for last few days to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, but can't see that anyone has.

We fitted new worktops around 18 months ago, it is the standard good quality matt black laminate worktop (Wilsonart Midnight Graphite). We have always been very careful and never cleaned it with harsh chemicals.

But it has lost the blackness and has gone more of a grey colour or you can say it has started fading near to sink which is very near to window as well. I can not see anywhere else at this stage.

This is morning I did clean it with vinegar thinking of limescale from the water but it has not restored the blackness. Other thing I can think of sunlight on that part as it close to window?

I do not know what would be the solution now. If replacement is the only solution which laminate worktop should I go for without worrying about for all these things at-least for few years. I can not afford granite or quartz at this stage.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Certainly sounds like sunlight bleaching, try the maker you might get lucky, but I bet they will wriggle out of it, found this. Although it refers to outdoor use it mentions sunlight causing fading.

http://www.wilsonart.com/search/keyword/sunlight

A Google for sunlight resistant worktops has a lot of hits like this one, I guess that is the way to go.

http://www.erkitchens.co.uk/finishing-touches/worktops

Thanks... I will have a look. Even the worktop changes it color on the area very near to gas hob... I have contacted wilsonart anyway. I know they will do everything to prove me wrong and not to do anything.

As thought, Wilsonart is not ready to help any way. I think replacement is the only solution. Which laminate worktop should I go for this time without worrying about for all these things at-least for few years, even some sort of matt or gloss laminate worktop where the scratches are not that visible as they will get scratched with the use and would look good even after few years. I can not afford granite or quartz at this stage. Please help.

Currently I am using this matt laminate worktop:

https://www.hcsupplies.co.uk/kitchen-worktops/midnight-granite-gloss-600mm-worktop-96.html

My cabinets doors are Cream Gloss finish.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD, No mate, already tried it. I need some recommendations for the new one please, do not know which one to go for and looking for some help.

I would avoid B&Q worktops not happy with the last one I bought, it marked very easily.

I would avoid B&Q worktops not happy with the last one I bought, it marked very easily.

OK, thanks for your feedback. Do you know exactly which one you went for? So far I quite liked the "Bella Noche" from BandQ but it is also available from HomeBase and same name worktop available from Wilsonart?

Duropal (Pfleiderer) are very good quality worktops - better than Wilsonart IMHO - but I'd always recommend avoiding any form of high gloss worktop because if used even moderately they scratch like crazy. Great for selling houses but of zero practical use

My laminate has faded too, I have used WD40 and it looks a lot better but I don't know for how long!

You could use Armorall. It is sold for car valeting and restores colour and shine to faded plastic. On a car it lasts well, but I suppose kitchen cleaners will strip it off.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back