Black stains on oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have black granite worktop saver unfortunately it had black felt pads underneath and the dye from that has gone on the oak worktop. Anything I can use to get the black marks off. Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you sure they are not marks caused by damp? black damp mould stains on oiled timber are very common. I would not have expected a dye to pass through the oil (assuming you clean and oil it regularly)

look near the sink tap and you will probably find other black water stains.

if it is an oiled hardwood, you are going to have to clean the oil off the patches (wire wool and white spirit) and then either you can bleach the stains with peroxide, or if not bleachable you may have to abrade them away. You may need to use Ronson or other wood dyes to balance the colour before re-oiling.

Think you could be right, I have used wire wool 0000 and white spirit and now I will try peroxide many thanks.

do not use steel wool use a plastic scourer
the tannin in the oak will react and oxidise the steel [black marks]
this is why you get black marks on oak doors gates and fences

Sponsored Links
Oak (and walnut, too) reacts badly to the presence of water in conjunction with iron as Big-All says. The reaction is caused by the tannin in the wood dissolving into moisture to create tannic acid which in turn attacks any ferric compounds it comes in touch with to create ferric oxide, a black semi-permanent stain. the only thing I know of which will get rid of that is a solution of oxalic acid crystals in water. Try any good trade paint supplier for this - and remember to use rubber gloves

thanks joband knock makes more sense that its an acidic reaction rather than oxidation :D

jobs got it right with the oxcalic acid . mix the crystals in a plastic container and when dry wash with plenty of water to nuetralize . be aware that the acid is very toxic so be carefull aroung food areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back