Black mould on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We’ve started to get a lot of black mould spots all over the bedroom and bathroom ceiling. We’ve started to notice a lot of condensation build up on all the windows, especially on these cold mornings. The house is a 3 bed semi circa 1930. The previous owner had cavity wall & loft insulation done under a grant. The roof is original slate without any membrane backing. My wife is convinced it’s leaking causing the black mound. I think it’s more likely condensation build up due to washing, cooking, bathing (2 kids too), drying clothes on the radiator etc.. I think a dehumidifier will help solve the issue. Thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
rcs2 good evening.

Suggest that you use the "Search" function on the page [top right hand corner] you will get loads of posts.

Bottom line is do not if poss. dry clothes on the rads.
When cooking in the Kitchen especially potatoes and pasta, anything that boils, open a window but close the door to the rest of the house, even better fit an extractor to the outside.
In the bathroom fit an extractor to the outside, if that is not possible open a window to get shot of the steam.

The above will assist, it is down to a few changes in life style.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Opening the windows and providing adequate ventilation, would be better than a dehumidifier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back