Black rail – Metal Painting – maintenance job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This was taking care 2 years ago and still looking very good.

But couple of areas need bit of maintenance where paint have peel it / burst as per picture if clear enough - (a bit surprise as I thought that this would not have to be taken care as quickly - but what can i do?)

What we were thinking is to touch paint any areas that look at risk so to avoid a bigger job later?
1 - brush up with wire brush to remove any loose paint
2 - Sanding surface so smooth before painting?
2 - and then applied something like Hammerite metal paint

Is that all right to do that?

1/ can I just touch paint the area that need touch up?
2/ or do the full rail need to be painted so that it look as smooth as possible?
do I need primer or can I just apply the metal paint?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200322_073620_resized.jpg
    20200322_073620_resized.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20200322_073624_resized.jpg
    20200322_073624_resized.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200322_112425_resized.jpg
    20200322_112425_resized.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
Touching up always looks obvious.

There is a smooth and original hamerite. It's not as good as it was.
Personally I would do the whole thing and you may have a lot of time on your hands at the moment.
A flappy wheel on a drill or a paint stripping disc on an angle grinder will work.

Hamerite can be brushed on with no basecoat but consider an old fashioned oxide primer

oh, good call - did not realised that there were two sort of these - Smooth and Hammered by original you mean?
try to look to understand the difference but no luck -I would say that our finish is pretty smooth so will get the smooth.
sadly no drill nor grinder, can we do by hand?

Ok will keep that in mind about the touching versus touch paint too as time will be available! :)

A hand wire brush will be good exercise. If the hire places stay open then consider an angle grinder or but a cheap one

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back