Black/red victorian floor tile - source and backer (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.

I'm doing up a victorian terrace. Its my first home and budget is a touch-tight.

One of my last jobs is to do the hallway and porch floor - its half tongue and groove, half chipboard - this is it:
IMG_5564.JPG

I'd like to tile it - so the plan is to use 6mm HardieBacker (well… 'No More Ply' as it is less than half the price @£7/sheet) to go over the timber before tiling over.

I'm aiming for a traditional-looking floor and the Black/Red victorian tiles from Topps are perfect as they come ready placed on a sheet with edging and corners, but they are outside my budget at £66/m2. Very nice though:

L42208_Victorian_BlackRed_Border.jpg

So by way of compromise, I thought I would use a slightly larger tile and make the pattern myself - like this:

20161214_141504_th.jpg

So I need to find, as cheaply as possible, the black and red tile and a matching black edging tile.

But, I don't know what to search for - I've come across the terms 'quarry tile' and 'unglazed tiles' but was hoping an experienced tiler could point me towards a source of these and what they're actually called.

I live in Manchester, can order online or can pick up from a chain or even eBay.

PS: any advice on the best adhesive to use would be very welcome too - I normally just use flexible floor tile adhesive on everything.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think that these are the right ones… "Unglazed Quarry Tiles" and this seems to be the cheapest I can find too:

Black quarry tiles @70p each (£30.81/m2) from Tiles Direct in Leeds
Red quarry tiles @34p each (£14.98/m2) from Tiles Direct in Leeds

They don't do a black edging strip, but I could order black ones and cut them in half.

Total cost = £120 (rather than £318 if I got the sheeted tiles from Topps) or £25/m2. But the delivery is a killer.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Last edited:
Lee! You star. £25.20/m2?! Perfect I'll have it.

Should I order via yourself or just off the website.

Any chance you could let me know if 6mm No More Ply over the existing floor plus flexible adhesive is the right way to lay them?

Thanks you.

Sponsored Links
Lee! You star. £25.20/m2?! Perfect I'll have it.

Should I order via yourself or just off the website.

Any chance you could let me know if 6mm No More Ply over the existing floor plus flexible adhesive is the right way to lay them?

Thanks you.

Great stuff. Yes you can order online, you can get samples if you want to just check?

Fix NMP down onto your floor, then i would use TileMaster Ulimate S2 adhesive, its a belt n braces adhesive. TileMaster Grout 3000 Mid Grey will match the tile too.

All in stock.

Lee

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I don't trust tiles on floorboards no matter what you lay on top, so perhaps don't rule out vinyl. Waaaay cheaper too. PS: I think 'encaustic tile' is the term you were originally looking for.

Last edited:
I think encaustic is the right field but wrong game.

There are some great looking vinyl options but I have never had a good experience with Vinyl personally. Price is a plus though.

If you go with the tiles that Lee suggested then k think you will be onto a winner for the price.

Some lovely work there! Definitely going with Lee's tiles.

The house is being done on an incredibly tight budget so it's a balance between price and style - they tick both boxes.

Make certain that there is no movement in the floor joists - that chipboard is probably a remedial repair from previous damp damage - possibly moisture was coming under the threshold.
There will be a v. vulnerable joist just before the threshold wall.
If possible, go under the floor and check the joists.
Screw all the boards down tight.
Tile and backer board will raise the FFL?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back