Tiling Fermacell tile backer boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating my bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling the walls (I'm tiling floor to ceiling).

I have used Fermacell tile backer boards on a new timber stud wall - the place I ordered them from had ran out of Hardiebacker, and I was offered this as an alternative. These are gypsum based rather than cement based. Couple of questions:

1. The instructions say when jointing/tiling to use 'non-cementitious' adhesive - I understand because the cement can react with gypsum. I can't actually find any non-cement based adhesive. Could I use a primer (acrylic?) and then use normal tile adhesive?

2. Should I be concerned about the weight of tiles on the boards/stud wall? I had a tiler round to quote and he seemed to be really concerned about the weight of the tiles on the wall (tiles are 350x750x10mm porcelain), not sure why he was so concerned, think it was because it was a stud wall more than anything. He ended up not quoting...

I am now thinking about half tiling the walls to reduce the weight...worked out the new wall (with tiles etc) will be putting around 400kg of additional weight through the first floor joists, not sure if that's something to worry about.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that's going to be your problem, all the non cementitious adhesives are going to be premixed and they aren't really suitable for porcelain and certainly not of that format

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back