Black thing on my floor?? So confused.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG As it says in the title I have a black thing on my floor. I've lifted the carpet as getting a new one fitted and found this black mess. It feels like melted plastic and my floorboards stop around it. The box in the corner is my gas meter the pipes exit up into the corner.

Anyone have any ideas about this as I don't.

Sponsored Links
It looks like old lino that's perished. What's the problem. Get a scraper, and see if it comes up.

It seems to be sticky like tar and I would try to get it but it seems like my floorboards stop around the mess.

You're either going to dig it out, and replace the floorboards, or leave it there, and put some plastic membrane over it, and just put the new carpet down

Sponsored Links
It could be some-one has bodged a floor repair and made that corner solid. So is it solid or is it on some suspended structure.

Unless the old floor covering that went over it shows signs it is damp I would suggest you just live with it!

You're either going to dig it out, and replace the floorboards, or leave it there, and put some plastic membrane over it, and just put the new carpet down
As an expert walking into that room I would say it's Tarmac ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back