Blacken a felt roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large section of felt roof on my house and whilst it is watertight, it is a little bit tatty looking. Is there any product I could apply to the roof that would give it a uniform black/dark appearance?

Also, is this type of roof structure ok to support my weight if I go on the roof to apply the product?

Sponsored Links
The darker it is the more heat it will absorb from the sun. ( a roof near here has in the last week been white washed )

As to supporting your weight ?. May be may be not.......

Use a sheet of plywood to spread your weight.

You could paint it with bitumenous solar reflective paint, should be available at decent roofing merchants. Usually either silver or white it'll give you a uniform colour and reflect more heat thus also lengthening it's lifespan. The roof will probably be fine to walk on since someone had to walk on it to lay it in the first instance, but check it first. Start by treading carefully near an edge then treading farther out, you should be able to feel whether it's moving or unstable under foot. If in doubt leave it to a pro tho, plenty folks have died falling through roofs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back