Blake's profiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I bought a pair of Blake's profiles for the brickwork on my extension and to be fair they have helped me a lot and saved time.
The only problem I'm having which is obviously down to my lack of experience is after setting them, they pull the line in a bit , maybe 3 or 4mm enough to be noticeable. I can't see how I can avoid this without changing the preset screws which you aren't meant to touch.
So basically each lift, the corner line steps in by a few mm.
I think it's possible that I'm not setting that profile totally square to the corner, and that's though to throw the line out a bit as I'm using the line clips that come with the profile.
Anyone who's used these before and has any advice then much appreciated!
Ps I'm not talking about the string tension pulling the profiles together, more the profile changing the corner line a bit from the previous courses.
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
To set them square initially, put a line on each face at the same time and make sure that the outer corner of the profile is not pushing the line inwards past what will be the face of the wall. You will see this easier with both lines on at once.

This relies on your two wall faces being 90° in the fist place

Once you have adjusted the four bolts to set the profile square and plumb, allowing for the line thickness between the profile and the wall face, you never touch the top two bolts ever again (unless you use a different line thickness) and all the plumbing is done via the bottom two bolts only. Then, every lift is the same.

You also need to be sure that you are not pulling the profile around the corner with the retaining bars. These only need to be thumb tight as the weight holds it all secure.

Make sure your level is accurate for plumb

Thanks woody that's extremely helpful
So I've never touched the top bolts, but I may try to fix this by adjusting them next time, one time only hopefully. The instructions say never touch them so I left them alone.
I think I may well be pulling it round the corner a bit when tightening the wing nuts too like you say.
When fitted the profile corner sits about 4mm off the corner but when I've seen them used on sites it looks like it's sat literally touching the corner, any idea if that's right?

I've seen them used on sites it looks like it's sat literally touching the corner, any idea if that's right?

No, there needs to be an allowance for the line, and then for the slight gap between the line and the brick. Otherwise the corner, the line and the courses will be all over the place.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back