Bleach marks on steam room wood rack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to bleach out some mouldy grout in the steam room where I have 2 wooden racks for sitting/toiletries, etc. New mould remover left some bleach marks on the wood (photos). I'm completely inexperienced in fixing this sort of thing (if it's even possible), so after some research it seems to me that my best chance is to sand it down maybe? I also have no idea whether the wood is treated - the planks are slightly different colour but when they get really wet there is some brown water dripping from them on the tiles below, so I'm guessing there has been some sort of a stain/protector applied. Do I need to reapply it after sanding on just the affected areas or on the whole thing? Thank you!
Bleached wood1.jpg
Bleached wood2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Brown water may be rust from screws if they are not intended for wet areas . Bleach will have penetrated timber , not worth repair easier to replace .Unless you want to bleach it all to a uniform colour .

Thanks - I'd hoped I could fix it but bleaching the entire rack/bench would seem to be too much trouble. The brown water seems to be coming from the wood rather than screws though. It's a rental flat so I'm not sure what's been installed.

Sponsored Links
Sanded the bench yesterday - used rough grain sandpaper (about 100-grade), which removed all the stains, followed by 240-grade to smooth the bench out. Dusty work but at least the stains are gone! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back