Treating Loft Timbers After Damp + Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Recently when going into my loft to change the bathroom fan, I noticed that there was a huge amount of damp and black mould on around half of the timbers. I also noticed a smaller spot of what I think is white mould on one rafter and the felt around it. After investigating I found the ducting for the fan wasn’t even connected to the vent, so all the steam from the bathroom was filtering into the loft. On top of that there seems to be no ventilation.

My plan for solving the issue has been:

- Connect the ducting up properly (past owners )
- Put a dehumidifier up there to dry it out. Had this up there a few days and it’s been working well.
- Install some soffit vents and lap vents in the felt.
- Finally treat the wood, which is the topic I want some clarification on.

Doing a bit of research people seem to recommend Boracol 10. I just want to know whether this is an all in one solution that will not only treat the wood going forward but also kill the mould currently present. I’ve used a cilit bang black mould cleaner in other areas of the house, but apparently as it’s a bleach solution it isn’t great for the timbers.

I have attached some photos before an after the dehumidifier for a bit more context.

Any help would be much appreciated!
IMG_0033.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0085.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
as foxhole says
as long as its cold and draughty its as designed with all structural components designed and will last for centuries iff nothing changes
if you can take a screwdriver or nail and 2 or 3 hits with a hammer do not cause damage or go right through discolouration is not decay so fully structurally sound -----decay is soft and a quick prod will remove masses off material if not no worries

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back