Bleed keys ?

M

marsaday

i have 2 older rads in the house and i cannot bleed them. My key is either to big or the bleed valve has rounded off ?

I have tried getting some pliers on the valve but i cannot get to it.

Any ideas if i just need a different sized key or do i have a problem which means getting new rads ?

Sponsored Links
Does it look like the bleed nipples are moulded in as part of the rad or are they on a metal disc usually polished steel which is wound into the radiatior ?

A piccie would be useful here

If it is the former and you are handy with a welder you could try and tack a nut or bolt onto the end of the nipple and wind it out with a spanner. If it is the latter then just unwind the whole thing using the hexagonal nut built into the bleed nipple body and wind in a new one with a good few turns of ptfe

it is the old style which is recessed. Not the modern screw plates with a nipple on them.

i have read some other posts and reckon i may have a go with a socket set or try grinding a slit for a screw driver (dremel little tool).

Sponsored Links
it is the old style which is recessed. Not the modern screw plates with a nipple on them.

i have read some other posts and reckon i may have a go with a socket set or try grinding a slit for a screw driver (dremel little tool).

Be careful when cutting a slit in it if you then snap it in half along the cut you will have even less to work with

Do you have a pair of needle nose pliers ?

first are you sure your rads need bleeding.
get a decent brass key.then look at the square area,if its recesessed just put key in a vice and file flat until no recess then remove swarf with same file.
works on most old rads as long as no dick head has used pliers.

trust me.i am old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back