bleeding problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to bleed a radiator but the bleeding nut :) is worn and I cannot get a grip.
I have tried 3 different keys.
Any ideas or cunning tricks I can try?

Henry. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
you could try a decent pair of pliers, or quite a few rads have removable bushes that the bleed nipple screws into. failing all else, a new rad.
Your problem is caused by overtightening the bleed screw.

Try sacrificing one of your bleed keys by squashing it slightly in a vice, just to make the square slightly oblong. Remove all of the paint from the bleed valve area, tap the 'modified' key on and see what happens...worth a try!
John :)

It won't budge boys.
I suspect it must be rusted solid.
Would WD40 over a few days help?

Sponsored Links
It sure can't do any harm - likewise heating it up a bit.
The trouble is, brass is very soft so the bleed valve is likely to crumble. I presume you've tried some snipe nosed pliers?

It sure can't do any harm - likewise heating it up a bit.
The trouble is, brass is very soft so the bleed valve is likely to crumble. I presume you've tried some snipe nosed pliers?

Yes, I tried the pliers John.

What would make it crumble?
The WD40?

Hardly! Brass though is inherently a soft, granular metal that doesn't like to be mauled about.
If the nipple isn't held in its own hexagon housing but is blind into the rad, I'm afraid you'll have to replace the rad in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back