Unable to bleed radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm trying to flush out a friends central heating system however i am unable to bleed any off the radiators. The bleed valves will not open. I've bought 3 bleed keys and neither seems to be able to get the valves open. The keys simply turn and dont grip the valve. Its proven very frustrating :mad:

The radiators seem very old with the bleed valve on the back.

Its the same as this type.

has anyone got any tips on how to get these open?

images

Sponsored Links
and when/if you get them out, fit new ones

on that type of rad there may not be a plug that you can screw out, that the bleed screw goes into :(

Is there a plug in the top ends?

Hi guys

I'm trying to flush out a friends central heating system however i am unable to bleed any off the radiators. The bleed valves will not open. I've bought 3 bleed keys and neither seems to be able to get the valves open. The keys simply turn and dont grip the valve. Its proven very frustrating :mad:

The radiators seem very old with the bleed valve on the back.

Its the same as this type.

has anyone got any tips on how to get these open?

If they are all the same, you may have to remove one to see what you are dealing with.

Sponsored Links
Try cutting a piece of copper (about 4mm square) and put it in the bleed key to make up the gap, or cut 3mm off the beveled end of the bleed key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back