radiator bleed valve 'broken'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i need to bleed a radiator at home, but the square bit that you put the bleed key onto has been worn away and now the bleed key wont grip it. Is there any other way to bleed it apart from trying to use pliers?

Sponsored Links
open the nut of the lockshield ever so slightly so u can hear the air leaving and then tighten up as necessary

ok thanks. do i then have to add any more water or something? i think i have an open vented system, but not sure. as you can see i am a bit of a novice

open the nut of the lockshield ever so slightly

how is undoing the nut on a lockshield going to help? the lockshield is at the bottom of the rad, the air is at the top. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP which type of bleed valve do you have 1. directly screwed into the rad or 2. screwed into a silver 1/2" fitting which is then screwed into the rad?

Sponsored Links
open the nut of the lockshield ever so slightly

how is undoing the nut on a lockshield going to help? the lockshield is at the bottom of the rad, the air is at the top. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP which type of bleed valve do you have 1. directly screwed into the rad or 2. screwed into a silver 1/2" fitting which is then screwed into the rad?

ive got a feeling that its screwed directly into the rad. pretty much looks like this one
p1020667.jpg
unfortunately there is no screwdriver bit

Just make sure you can easily close off the valves at both ends of the radiator if things go pear shaped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back