Bleed through in painted wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have recently had a hardwood porch installed. The carpenter suggested using dulux weathershield as the paint system, and we applied a primer, 2 undercoats and 2 topcoats. We decided to use the water based system, although within a few days of painting it, we are seeing some areas of what I presume is bleed through, where the white is effectively turning to the colour of weak tea.

I'm guessing this is all as a result of the primer either not doing its stuff or not being correctly applied, but would be grateful of some advice. Also, can I get round it by re-coating or am I wasting my time and is the only way to strip it right back? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Slightly sand down all timber to give it a key, then undercoat with an oil based paint then gloss.

Andy

hardwoods are often somewhat oily, so I prefer to use a spirit-based Aluminium Wood primer, which seals the surface and is supremely durable for outdoor use (water paints are generally less durable than oil paint, though water based is very quick and adequate indoors).

I don't suppose you want to sand back to bare wood now, so hopefully Herts suggestion will do the trick.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back