Bleeding knots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The external wooden gate has a knot that is bleeding, the leaking resin is sitting on the surface and has hardened, so how do i treat the knot so it doesnt leak anymore?
See below.

Image0176-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Use knotting solution.

That handle looks cheap and nasty and about to rust/peel.

Will knotting solution soak into the paint?
i know the handle looks crap but it will have to do as it cost £25.

You cant use Knotting soloution over previously painted wood. It has to go on bare wood.
You can rub it down and give the knots a dab with aluminium paint. There are also other sealers that will do the same job.

Sponsored Links
What sealers do you recommend? will stain block paint do the same job?

Very often in these situations I find it better to drill out the knot fill and spot prime the areas, an alternative would be to scrape off the affected paint sand back and spot prime with Zinsser Bin.

Dec

Very often in these situations I find it better to drill out the knot fill and spot prime the areas,

Dec

This is the best solution. Knots sometimes bleed for decades. Fill with an epoxy filler.

My dad and i used to paint a bungalow for an old dear every 5 yrs. They had knots on the window ledges that were still oozing after 25 yrs !! :eek:

I've seen it (not THAT bungalow). Knots can bleed for decades.

Some more knots, this time on the hand rail in the house, so should i lightly sand down the area where the knots are and spot prime with Zinnser BIN, then give the whole hand rail a coat of Bin followed by a coat of oil based undercoat and gloss with light sanding between coats.
Is this okay? what grade paper should i use?

Lightly sand the rail with around 120 dust off and spot paint the knots, when dry feather the edges with 150 dust off and apply your undercoat. You can use the 120 to lightly sand the undercoat before you apply your topcoat.

Dec

Well I don't know regarding that site but they are available in varying grits.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back