Bleeding Skirting Radiators!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit of a DIY novice, so was hoping that some of you may be able to help!

We have old skirting radiators (fitted in the 1960s) which are lukewarm, so I figured a bleed was probably the best place to start. I've attached a pic of what must be the bleed valve, as the other end of each radiator is a on/ off knob.

I tried a standard radiator key and it was too small. I have seen 'meter keys' which have a larger square key, but I can't get these to line up as there is a limited space from the top of the valve to the radiator housing, which doesn't come off as it's all plastered and painted in with the walls.

I am now trying sockets, and only had 8mm (which was too small) and 10mm (which was too large) so I'm planning to buy a 9mm one which will hopefully fit.

My question is... has anyone come across these radiators before and tried to bleed them? Am I going about it the right way? Any advice welcomed.

Also I read somewhere that hot water can be affected by bleeding your radiators. Is this true? Would it be better to bleed one radiator every few days rather than do a job lot (we have 10 of these things throughout the house)

Also, I read somewhere that it is best to start with the radiator furthest from the boiler, so perhaps upstairs first and then downstairs?

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• radiator.jpg
    radiator.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 561
Sponsored Links
1. That doesn't look like a bleed valve, more like the square head of a lock shield valve.
2. If it is a lock shield valve, don't turn it or you'll upset the balance of your system.
3. I'm fairly sure they don't have an air bleed point.
4. You may have to slacken the compression nut of the upper valve in each room to let air out. (Its the nut on the horizontal pipe in your picture). Do it carefully, plenty of rags and should be OK.

Just undo that valve fully for 10 mins with the heating on. Then shut off and open 1.5 turns. Should be OK then

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your insight - you saved us from probably accidentally dismantling the radiator pipes! We'll get a pro in next year. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back