"blemish" problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes well remembered - spot on got rid of the thing and killed it dead.

Many thanks for that Igorian. This made me take stock of another couple of 'blemish' problems. One which maybe difficult to solve and the second one I have more hope for:

Many moons ago I installed some software from WHSmith (yes I was young naive and knew no better) this has caused me a purely asethetic problem in that I have the WHSmith logo on my browser and I had long ago given up ever getting rid of it. Could it really be true that I could strip that away as well?

The other problem is far more of well a problem really - on my laptop I get a popup teeling me there is no current internet connection even when I'm not connecting. This pops up every few seconds and prevents access to various applications unless you are very quick with the mouse. My only clue which may be connected is that I seem to have a hijacked home page which I am unable to delete permanently from my internet options.

Any advice gratefully received and thanks again for the initial help.

Steve

Sponsored Links
I'd need to now what software you installed from WHS. Are you sure it wasn't a version of the Browser? Some companies customise them to include logos, which are embedded. It could also be a form of spyware, which leads me to your second problem. Spyware has been covered quite a bit on this forum, so a search will reveal lots of answers. My recommendations for removal software would be Pestpatrol and Spybot, the latter being free and very good. Other people will have their favourites, but they all do a similar job. One thing you will find is that using a variety of scanners will give you a similar variety of results.

If you have just installed a customised version of Interet Explorer it is very simple to remove the logo:

Close Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Windows Explorer
Click Start
Select Run
Type the following and click OK
rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

Get the case correct (Clear not clear).

Job done.
Merv

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - yes it is an embedded company logo on the browser.

Steve

Back