Strange Internet problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello it's me again. I am with AOL broadband About 4 weeks ago we had some power cuts. I don't know if this is relevant but afterwards the Internet kept going off. It would come up with the message Internet Explorer cannot display web page.

Anyway long story short called computer guy out who discovered I was configured to America. So he set my configuration back and explained that the power cuts can cause the configuration to be knocked off. Great I'm thinking no more problems. Untill it goes off again that day.

Call him back out and he gives us his temporary router to see if it is a problem with our router. We kept it for a week with no problems untill the night before it went off. I switched off the computer at the mains and turned it on and all was well. A blip fair enough.

We had the new router installed and now the Internet intermittently goes off but comes back on of it own accord if I presss Diagnose Connection Problem.

Someone told me AOL has been taken over by Talk Talk and I might notice it getting slower. Could this be what's causing my problems? Sorry for the long story. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I believe AOLuk is owned by carphone warehouse, what make of Router are you using?
You may need to setup some of the settings in it.

I thought I'd update this. For the past couple of days the Internet has been quite stable. It hasn't been going off as frequently as it used to. It went off briefly last night but that was the first time yesterday.

Today it hasn't gone off at all when I've been using it. So I'm not sure quite what the problem was. But I'll tell you if I have any further problems but touch wood it seems to be ok. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Btw

To force your pc to shut down- hold the power button for 10 seconds rather than pulling the plug.

Good luck with B/B

Well I've been putting up with this problem for a while now but it's starting to annoy me. If I leave the computer for a while and come back the ASDL Light will be flashing and I can't connect.

It's comes up with Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. If I click diagnose connection problem it's says the domain name server may be down. Then it comes back on of it's own accord. Any help would be great. Thanks

I had a problem from day one of broad band first Virgin then TalkTalk however giving talktalk their due they first sent me FOC a new wireless router and when this did not help sent Openreach to re-terminate my line.
Very much improved does drop out odd times but in the main OK.
One thing I did notice was router was quite hot so I unplugged all LAN cables from router and put them in a switch then from switch to router and now a lot cooler and works a lot better.

It is worth complaining to provider you may get service I got and new router.

I wonder if you have a router or a converter the routers connect either wireless or through NIC card but some cheap boxes use the USB with the latter more is done by your computer and less in the box and the fault could be in computer.

I would start off by looking at the quality of the telephone line.

To do this enter the router's admin pages by going to http://192.168.2.1 (in the address bar of internet explorer)

You will need to find the noise readings, probably the SNR (signal to noise ratio). If there is too much noise on the line you will have disconnects and dropped packets.

Unplug any other telephones on extensions and remove the microfilters- these can go bad and create feed back.

Check the snr again.

Now plug the modem into the main BT wall socket, removing the face cover first. this will help to eliminate the possibilty of feedback on the internal house wiring.

If the snr is still bad then moan at aol who will have to get bt to check the exchange. there could be water for example in a pavement junction box.

Sponsored Links
Back