Blending 'extended' wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some experienced input on a task I am about to under take.

Currently our bedroom has a little alcove off 1 corner making use of space over the stairs as shown in the brilliant sketch below:

We are redoing the whole room, and one of the improvements planned is to build a stud wall & door frame over the front of the alcove as per below:

The opening is not much bigger than the outside of the full height studs when including door+jambs+jack studs+rough opening clearance, but will still require a small amount boarding and plastering.

From an overhead view this is what I have in mind:

Door jamb depth will be 119mm, so stud width+2x12.5mm board+2x2.5 plaster should bring the final wall surface to the same depth as the jambs.

My main question is, with the plaster layer, will a decent blend with the adjoining wall be achievable?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone done this type of job before?

It seems the best thing would be to mount the frame such that the plaster board is ~2.5-3mm back from the existing wall surface, then recess the first couple of inches of the existing wall from the joint, then skrim tape and plaster the new wall/frame and across onto the recessed area of the old wall?

Yes, you can skim like that (and just blend in the joint with some Easifill or filler if you need )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back