Blending in the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently doing the upstairs out. Have one slight problem, the room use to be 2 rooms it has been converted to one bedroom. There use to be a length of timber running along the ceiling where the old stud was. One room the ceiling has been done with a mortar mix and then plaster, the other room has been boarded previously with 9.5mm board and skimmed. the difference overall between the 2 ceilings is 15mm. Whats the best way to blend them both together? I dont fancy re boarding or taking off the mortar from the lath and plaster ceiling.

Would it be best to cut a length of plasterboard and put in the void then skim? or can anyone suggest a different method?

I have attached some photos to give you an idea

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
The very best solution you have already mentioned and regrettably a method that you do not want to undertake.
You alternative method, will not look pretty if you have a 15mm step.
Other options are to board the gap, then blend in levels using bonding compound and then skim either the complete ceiling area or try blend in finish between ceilings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info m8, I will board the centre and re skim the lower ceiling what plaster do you recommend I got some bonding there would you skim the whole ceiling or enough to feather it in ? Cheers m8

After boarding gap, the joints between boards and ceiling would ideally be taped up, then as the ceiling steps 15mm, I would use "Thistle bonding coat", to feather the levels in-between the two ceilings. This is a coarse base coat and will be use purely to assist in blending the levels. This can then be left to set, it can be worked over whilst still moist, if left to dry, I would prime (PVA) prior to skimming. The skim can be then be feathered in to both ceilings. For skim use multi-finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks buddy, will do that when off next :) got plenty of multi there as using that on the walls atm. Last time I used bonding couldn't believe how gritty it is compared to multi lol. Will post a pic once completed :) thanks again prenticeboy

Hi again all plan to tackle that ceiling when off Wednesday got a gap to fill in the other bedroom aswell what do you recommend for patching this up ?:) As we not putting coving up thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 136

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back