Blending inbuilt wardrobe to chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m installing some ikea wardrobes so they are built into the chimney alcoves and I’d like a seamless transition between wall and wardrobe.

I’ve cut some pieces of thick ply to fit in the space between the chimney breast ( yet to be secured) and wardrobes for a base to build upon but I’m not sure of the best way to finish it.

I’d like to skim it with joint compound (leaving a few mm to caulk to the wardrobe) so I could then sand and refine before caulking and painting, but obviously skimming to bare ply is a bad idea..

So really I’m looking for something that’ll adhere to ply and the wall that is preferably sand-able or maybe a coat to the ply (pva?) so I can skim over it, or any other suggestions how to finish these wardrobes and have them blend seamlessly.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Ideally you would’ve left room for plasterboard, then skimmed over that.

Better to have a small recess at edges, flush will always be cracking and looking cwap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Ideally you would’ve left room for plasterboard, then skimmed over that.
It’s not too late to put plasterboard in, the ply hasn’t been attached yet. I could potentially push the ply deeper a use it as backing for plasterboard.

Better to have a small recess at edges, flush will always be cracking and looking cwap.
I’m hoping having a couple of mm of caulk might buffer any cracking. Could be kidding myself tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back