'Blind' faith

B

Big Tone

I’m usually a pretty savvy sort of guy but I dropped a clanger hanging a blind for my lounge the other day. (First time I've done it). I got one from B&Q measuring 1.8M x 2.2M. I cut the horizontal rail to fit the 1.78M width, so next was the vertical height…

Now in my naivety I thought these things would be made to a precise length, so a quick measure of the doorway told me I needed to lose 200mm off each vertical slat but as I’m hanging them I notice there’s a disparity. (The doorway is square). There was a two inch difference between the shortest and longest lengths.
angry-smiley-005.gif

Now it did enter my mind at the start to measure from the hanging end of the slats but of course it’s easier to mark off the short bit I need to cut on a table, (200mm), and use the edge of the table to make a nice straight cut.

In this modern day and age I would have expected them to be an exact 2.2 meters long, but not so. In other words, if I needed the 2.2 Metre drop and therefore not cut anything, they would have been all different lengths.

I’ve had to put a wooden batten up to lower the rail from the lintel and cut them properly as a result. :mad: Lesson learnt the hard way; I’ll know in future.

Muggins Tony

Sponsored Links
This was the exact one although there's no image available unfortunately.

It's actually a very nice blind indeed and I'm pleased with it. I just wish I had not trusted the overall lengths being equal from manufacture.

I've still got all the off-cuts; there's not more than a fraction of a mm between them. Wish I could say the same of the main slats
sad-smiley-047.gif

I could post a pic later, complete with a puddle of my tears...

is it a vertical blind,i did this when i fitted mine :LOL: but luckily my missus spotted the mistake on slat no 3 and as i had some spares i managed to save the day,
bad luck mate i know how you feel. :oops:

Sponsored Links
is it a vertical blind,i did this when i fitted mine :LOL: but luckily my missus spotted the mistake on slat no 3 and as i had some spares i managed to save the day,
bad luck mate i know how you feel. :oops:
It is a vertical blind and although I have a girlfriend she don't love me and, IMO, never has. But that's another story...

Bloody B&Q, or whoever makes the damn thing! I feel like there's no fool like an old fool.
costumed-smiley-035.gif

Big Tone - THE FOOL!
costumed-smiley-020.gif

Just when you get to 50 years old and you've lost loved ones and fed up of what crap life has dealt you a ray of hope comes from the prospect of a f-in' blind which a child of six is meant to be able to fit but you are made to look like a moron!

Goodbye cruel world
hanged.gif

(I use humour as a coping mechanism BTW)

I'll post a pic later and you can see for yourself how this would break your heart like love being thrown back in your face and ruins your life like Kim did to me back in 1977! (But that's probably too much information). My OCD does not help matters :rolleyes:

If I don't post again assume I've killed myself :(

I haven't painted the batten yet but I'm hoping it'll look okay when I do.

Notice the huge difference in them, still yet to be trimmed, in order to make them even...

Slat2.jpg

Slat1.jpg

Slat3.jpg

So then, word of advice: Always measure from the hanging end. Isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?
smilie_auslachen.gif

Get rid of the bloody batten and take the blind back!!!

They never check, then buy it again!

I did this once when I cocked up fitting a radiator :evil:

Get rid of the bloody batten and take the blind back!!!

They never check, then buy it again!
But I'd feel so guilty and I don't like confrontation. Will you do it for me? :LOL: Do I just say I've changed my mind?
smilie_pinoc.gif
I'd feel better if I at least said something about the condition, if not the whole story
angel-smiley-019.gif
(I'd never make it in politics).

Not only have I cut 200mm off the lengths but but the width is now ~40mm shorter. As a result, I didn't need the one slat so I also had to cut the dingly-dangly string at the bottom shorter too.

What would happen to it anyway, if I did take it back? I'd hate to think it's re-packaged and some poor goof buys this 'sow's ear'. Actually, now that it's painted it doesn't look too bad. Also, I've noticed by having the batten it hides the ugly door rail at the top. 'ang on, I'll get my camera...

I did this once when I cocked up fitting a radiator :evil:
But would it still have been fit for purpose or repairable, or was it a monumental "OH NO!" moment?
smilie_schreck.gif
'twould be easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle than make this blind anything close to its original condition.

Paranoid mode 'ON'.. What if B&Q are watching this thread? They could be waiting for me!
violent-smiley-044.gif
violent-smiley-044.gif
violent-smiley-044.gif
I'm CRB checked, (need to be), so I could lose my job and have to turn to crime to pay the bills. Jeeze, I need to think carefully about this...
grinning-smiley-021.gif

Edit to add: What if they re-package it and I end up buying the same one back. That would be ironic eh? :D

:D :D

..... on second thoughts, keep the batten. You might get hit by a bus on the way ;)

The batten looks fine, takes your eyes away from the pink curtains
Oi! I have feelings you know! :) They look better in the flesh, just like myself
mixed-smiley-023.gif
, and were left behind from the previous owner.

Nothing wrong with pink and besides, they match my Tutu. Actually, since I’ve put weight on I need a Threethree. (Groan) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back